PDA

View Full Version : Macro Algae Eaters

Shiandy
09/30/2006, 04:12 PM
Any ideas on what would eat this type of macro algae ? Trying to find somthing that would help me keep it in check, as manual removal is becoming hard work.

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n303/Shiandi/DSCF1764-1.jpg

entropygain
09/30/2006, 05:05 PM
Cleaned up a bad problem with grape calerpa in my tank in about two weeks. Now he loves a wad of nori every few days.

I'm a little worried about him outgrowing my tank soon, but I got a very small one, and planning on upgrading the tank.

good luck

Shiandy
10/01/2006, 03:47 AM
Do you think my system could handle the bio load of a Foxface ? I currently have 5x Firefins, 2x Common Clowns, 1x Fire Angel.

Also are there any other potential risks adding a Foxface to an established Reef ? and would it be compatable with my current inhabitants.

entropygain
10/01/2006, 11:20 AM
That does sound like a pretty loaded system. Might be the reason for the algae problem in the first place? Clearly you've got a lot of nutrients getting into the system.

I doubt crabs can handle that kind of macro problem however.

You may just have to pull the rockwork, clean as best you can and work on the nutrient load + improved cleanup crew to help keep it from coming back. And solve the nutrient problem. A refugium might also help if you have room.

Maybe others have suggestions.

davocean
10/01/2006, 02:06 PM
My friend added a foxface and it mowed through his HA and macro
Only problem is when it was done with that it started to nip at his leathers.
Have you thought about a tang, maybe a yellow or kole for that size tank.

Shiandy
10/02/2006, 01:13 PM
To be honest, I'm very tempted to get a Foxface or Tang, which would be best for the Macro Clearup ? I need to be 100% sure its gonna do the job.

I'll see if I can hire one from my LFS ;)

boomsticks
10/02/2006, 01:37 PM
Try a Lawnmower Blenny or Starry Blenny. Mine has killed off the entire growth of hair and "Saw-Blade" calupera

Shiandy
10/03/2006, 05:56 AM
Does anyone have any further input on this ?, before I go out and put somthing in tank, that I'm gonna regret ?

Charlie Davidson
10/03/2006, 09:57 AM
only way to be %100 sure.... New live rock

entropygain
10/03/2006, 11:42 AM
I don't think new live rock will help. The algae will just re-grow. Always it's the nutrient source which is the underlying problem.
I personally haven't had good luck with lawnmower blennies on larger types of macro-algaes, but others may have.