PDA

View Full Version : drilling a hole, question on durso

reefinmike
09/30/2006, 05:19 PM
im drilling a 1" hole in the back of my 29 and putting an elbow on to drain. is there any way to make a durso style drain for this??

miatawnt2b
09/30/2006, 11:16 PM
Install a PVC "t" on the outside of the tank. Cap the top an drill a hole for the air input, then use the downpipe for the feed to the sump. I have a pair on my 55. Works perfect.
-J

cerreta
10/01/2006, 12:21 AM
I have done this in my nano, but built a standard Durso standpipe and put it on the inside of the sump, rising up from the elbow. Make sure the pipe diameter in the Durso is larger than the pipe going to the sump. Not sure why this works, but it does. If you don;t do it like this, the durso does not drain consistantly and may surge, suck to much air, or overflow. Strange, but true. And this is a commonly overlooked facet of the original Durso plan.

marcrunner
10/01/2006, 10:12 AM
just make sure you don't glue the breather cap,that way you can change it if hole is too big/small. you can also shove airline tubes down the overflows into the sump. mine is very quiet, especially considering I am trying to flow more water than is recommended