PDA

View Full Version : Gph?

duke1231
10/01/2006, 08:19 AM
How do you calculate GPH? I am starting a 29 gal. 30x12x18. I believe I was told I need about 600 gph but not sure. Thanks

boxfishpooalot
10/01/2006, 08:36 AM
depends on what your going to keep. If sps corals I would aim for 900-1200gph of random flow.

If your keeping soft corals 500-800gph. Random flow again here.

Flow is not somthing to skimp on although. The more the better without being destructive. Corals rely on it for gas exchange, which bring oxygen and removes gasses. Fish rely on it to bring food(in the wild) and to help stimulate slime coat production. Which protects against disease by sloughing parasite off. Fish also need water flow to aid in gas exchange at the waters surface.

Generally a wider flow is desired. The flow that tunze streams and seios give are good. As well as the new vortec pumps. Those are sought after pumps, whereas the maxi jets are not so effiecient. Some even convert them to run like tunze!

duke1231
10/01/2006, 08:47 AM
oh ok thanks. I am going to start with FO but will eventually go with soft corals. So I guess I will get the higher flow just to cover me in case I change my mind. Thanks again

sir_dudeguy
10/01/2006, 09:04 AM
ya i agree with boxfish...more flow the better, just as long as you're not like knocking the rocks over and whatnot lol.

IMO, i like going with a lot of flow, so go for like 800...that would be somewhere in between 25 times turnover rate and 30 times.

ek9vboi
10/01/2006, 07:01 PM
Its all in how you want you tank to be.

I've had less then 400gph in my 29g and everything lived perfectly. I had no dead spots as well. Just remember every tank is different.

I would stay around 15-20 times for the turn over rate. should be great for softies, mushrooms, etc. nothin SPS unless you have them right infront of a powerhead.