PDA

View Full Version : Water Flow/Powerhead Question

jeffltodd
10/02/2006, 11:23 AM
I have a 72 Gal Bowfront, in which I have the flow running from the right to the left of the rear of the tank. It seems on matter where I point the flow, it always creates a spot that it clears the sand from the bottom of the tank. This is only resolved if I point it directly at some live rock (which I do not wish to do).

My pump is a Rio+ 2500 Powerhead http://www.marinedepot.com/md_viewItem.asp?idproduct=TA3156

I would like to place a powerhead on the opposite side (right rear) backwall of the tank to counter the flow and hopefully solve this annoying problem.

Any suggestions as to what you would recommend?

mg426
10/02/2006, 11:26 AM
Thats a lot of pump top use as a (powerhead) Mabe plumb some 3/4 inch pvc around the top with some 1/2 inch outlets.

davocean
10/02/2006, 11:41 AM
I've seen WAY TOO MANY disasterous outcomes to ever have a RIO pump in my tank.

imtheonlylp
10/02/2006, 11:50 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8262210#post8262210 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by davocean
I've seen WAY TOO MANY disasterous outcomes to ever have a RIO pump in my tank.

yeah, no doubt...jeff, i would check into getting a different powerhead system altogether..maybe a couple of maxi1200s or my preference, the AquaClear models...i have mine pointed upward, diagonally toward the center of the tank, and there is no visible deadspot anywhere

jeffltodd
10/02/2006, 12:04 PM
Just so everyone is on the same page - the pump mentioned (Rio) is in my sump and plumbs up and back into the tank.

I never had a problem with this before, but this time around I am using much less rock, so I seem to be getting this area that the sand is swept from.

I was just looking for a powerhead I could place in the tank on the opposite side.

imtheonlylp
10/02/2006, 12:34 PM
ohhhhhhhh ok...well yeah, you do want your return line to somewhat flow downward so youre not getting the return water back into the overflow right away....that must be a heck of a pump though to overcome the headloss and still blow sand around! :D

jeffltodd
10/02/2006, 01:27 PM
In my last set-up it was fine because my rock went all the way across the back wall, so it kind of deflected it a bit. This time around, I noticed a spot that is about 2"x4" that has been cleared in the back, right corner. I can correct it by pointing the flow down towards the rock to deflect it, but if I put any corals on those rocks, they get all torn up.

So, my goal is the have good flow, without tearing up any corals. So that's where I thought if I point a powerhead directly at the return from the opposite end, they might balance each other out and possibly create a better turbulant flow.