PDA

View Full Version : Two part additive

sfsuphysics
10/02/2006, 04:04 PM
Now I've been using this to keep my calcium & alk levels up (although the time of calcium reactor is coming shortly). Now one thing I noticed is my chaeto has become very wiry, now my foxface won't even eat the stuff! I'm assuming because the chaeto is a vascular type plant it probably absorbed a bunch of the two part as I poured each part in (maybe too much?) and has become more brittle as a result?

Ok so I decided to drip the solution in with a large stryofoam cup so it can slowly get absorbed into the water, I poured in the alkalinity part... then I poured into the calcium part.. and POOF I made a globby mess in the cup that now jammed the hole! So I'm curious is this stuff bad for the tank if I let the chunks fall in slowly?

bertoni
10/02/2006, 08:30 PM
I'd guess it's mostly calcium carbonate with perhaps some magnesium hydroxide thrown in. The magnesium hydroxide will redissolve when mixed into the tank (if there's any present), but the calcium carbonate is pretty much useless. I'd ditch the stuff, but dosing shouldn't hurt.

Randy Holmes-Farley
10/03/2006, 05:02 AM
Mixing the parts outside the tank basically wastes it. Just add the two parts all at once (but separated in time from each other) away from any macroalgae or other organism that seems to become coated with calcium carbonate.