PDA

View Full Version : ich problem

jdowntain
10/02/2006, 07:41 PM
I recently got a hippo tang who i now suspect has ich. This morning she had 1 white dot on her and now has about 7 small white dots on her. I do not have a quarentine tank set up at this time. I only have live rock, some inverts and 2 clown fish. Any recommendations on how to treat her? I have read mixed reviews on the use of garlic, but don't know what kind to get or if it will even help. Please Help!

Andrew
10/02/2006, 08:00 PM
I would go get a 20+ gallon tank to use as a QT tank unless you already have one around that size. Take enough tank water out to fill up the qt. Than move all the fish into the QT and begin hypo. Leave the rock and inverts in the maintank. Read up on Hypo and how to set up a QT tank for more info. Too much to explain in a post.

chaseracing
10/02/2006, 08:03 PM
Buying the 20 gal tank is a good idea. They are cheap and you can medicate the tank and not worry about messing up the chemistry of display tank.

-=E=-

t5Nitro
10/02/2006, 08:35 PM
I used garlic xtreme, worked really well on my fish. Just soak their food in a few drops of it every time you feed them. If your fish eats it probably will get over the ich, mine ate like a cow and it got over it. Just soak the food in some garlic xtreme each time you feed, few drops each feed should work. Probably doesn't hurt to use garlic xtreme after the ich is gone becuase I think it boosts their immune system also. Good luck!

drummereef
10/02/2006, 09:06 PM
Can you tell us what your water paremeters are? A hippo in a 46 seems like a questionable choice for a tang that size. Temp fluctuation and other stressors have been problems with ich for me in the past.

meco65
10/02/2006, 09:11 PM
Qt with Hypo is the best thing to do.
Here is a link on QT and Hypo.
http://home2.pacific.net.ph/~sweetyummy42/quarantine.html

http://www.petsforum.com/personal/trevor-jones/hyposalinity.html

jdowntain
10/03/2006, 08:17 AM
My water paremeters are

PH 8.1
Salenity 1.023
ammonia 0
nitrites 0
nitrates 0

Everybody is still eating well. No sign in fatigue or heavy breathing.

Their is a total of 7 white spots. 1 big one on the front of her face.

MY maderian goby and clown fish don't have any of these white spots and it has been 3 days since I noticed the white spots on the Blue Hippo.

barjam
10/03/2006, 09:50 AM
Some fish are (perhaps temporarily) immune.