PDA

View Full Version : 120g tank used for snake

84jeepjohn
10/02/2006, 08:45 PM
Ok, I "might" be getting a 120g from a friend who is moving. I've not seen it yet cause it's got his snake in it. The deal is if he can get rid of the snake, I can have the tank for 25$:bum: :D

My question is if it was a tererium (sp) and not an aquarium would that really matter? are the two made differenly?

He did say it's got some holes drilled in it (not entierly sure though)

I'll try to get sme more info and pics tomorrow or wed. If this is a "good" tank I'll figure out something with the snake (anyone want some boots? LOL)

english83
10/02/2006, 08:50 PM
If you do get it, test it in the driveway with hose water. Then clean it! You're going to want to make sure all the possible bugs that reptiles may get are gone. You can use a vineger water mix, it's used for deep cleaning, just make sure the vineger smell is gone when it is dry. I would probably deep clean it twice just to be sure it's clean. I have reptiles and know that, depending on the bedding used, the dust is hard to get rid of.

84jeepjohn
10/02/2006, 09:20 PM
OK thanks for the tips.

WHat should the thickness of the glass be? if it's a trerium the glass "should be" thinner right?

schiejr
10/03/2006, 08:54 AM
All Glass makes critter cages for terrarium use that are sold with stickers warning not to fill with water. They are made with thinner glass. I believe the largest of these is 40 gallons though.

I have seen some terrariums by other manufacturers though, with vent holes in the sides. Sorry, don't have anything more specific than that.

english83
10/03/2006, 11:18 AM
I'm not sure if reptile glass is thinner. My boyfriend and I use aquariums, except for the snake. You could go to the local store and measure the differences in the aquariums and the reptile ones. I like having the versatility of using an aquarium because I can always change it latter.

akrimmel
10/03/2006, 12:46 PM
if it has not had water in it for a few years then forget about it as the silicone will not be as strong when under water pressure as well as when you start to add LS/LR to it.

84jeepjohn
10/03/2006, 01:45 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8268520#post8268520 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by akrimmel
if it has not had water in it for a few years then forget about it as the silicone will not be as strong when under water pressure as well as when you start to add LS/LR to it.
THe "cage" is only a year to year and a half old.

Plus I left my 55 G empty and in a garage for quite some time and no adverse effects, BUT that's good to know.

schiejr He did say something about having some holes in it, that may be what it was from.

I'll be heading over tonight to see.

Paintbug
10/03/2006, 02:49 PM
terrarium cages are usually about 1/2 the normal thickness compared to aquariums.this is why terrarium are usually about 1/2 the cost of an aquarium. they usually dont have the center brace, some do though, and sometimes not a complete top brace. it will have a slide out screen top. if it is a terrarium it wont hold water. especially LR, sand, etc. that SW tanks use.

get some pics, and dimensions and we can go from there.

PiXieCath
10/03/2006, 03:44 PM
I've also heard than reptiles feces and urine damage the silicone...

84jeepjohn
10/05/2006, 01:59 PM
OK I'm finally getting over to the guy's place tonight. I saw some pics on his camera, and it did NOT have holes in it.

He also said the glass was about 1/4 inch thick. My 100 Gallon tank that is 5 foot long is 1/4 inch too, so I'm hopeing this will work out ok.

Paintbug
10/05/2006, 03:06 PM
did it have any center bracing? 1/4" seems thin, my 75g is 3/8"

serpentman
10/05/2006, 03:20 PM
I haven't seen too many dedicated reptile cages over the 40gal breeder size. Really there isn't a market for it as there are a lot of plastic cages out there that are light weight and easier to heat. In a nutshell, I would bet this is a standard aquarium and should (in theory) hold water. I would be a little concerned with the silicone so I would definitely test it outside.

Make sure you clean it good and when you think its clean, clean it one more time. I don't know if your friend ever treated for mites, etc. but some of the treatments are known for their lingering residue (thats what makes them work). Furthermore, make sure you get all the urates (pasty white stuff) off the glass. That stuff is like concrete and can be tough to get off. I personally would also disinfect with a dillute bleach solution. Vinegar will do little, if nothing to kill some of the nasties a reptile can leave behind.

84jeepjohn
10/05/2006, 03:51 PM
Thanks for the info everyone.

If I get it, it's gonna get cleaned, and tested. THEN it'll sit for a little while,then cleaned some more. I'm getting a 100G tank up and running right now.

84jeepjohn
10/05/2006, 03:53 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8283456#post8283456 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Paintbug
did it have any center bracing? 1/4" seems thin, my 75g is 3/8"
My 100g tank is 3/8... I have no clue why I read it as 1/4 LOL I'll see what the other one is like in about an hour.

84jeepjohn
10/05/2006, 05:47 PM
well it was a 75 gallon tank not a 120 :( It also was a terreum :( :( oh well.
I look at it this way, I'd have hated to start two tanks at the same time LOL so I guess it worked out.

serpentman
10/05/2006, 07:46 PM
Think of all the $$ you just saved! One tank is expensive enough!

84jeepjohn
10/07/2006, 10:15 AM
LOL don't I know it.

I just got the stand done, The wife LOVES IT (we just re stained it and pit a top coat on it. I can't believe how changing the color can change the look of something)

Now I've got to work on the glass, lots of small scraches. I found this glass polishing stuff on another thread so I'm gonna try that!!!