PDA

View Full Version : Too soon to put corals in?

eugeneK
10/02/2006, 11:38 PM
heya, I filled new system eysterday, roughly 90G used reef Crystals.

Live rock is cured and came from another tank, water mix is all new sapt for may be 4-5 gal from my 30g tank.

Parameters after 24hrs:

alk ~~ 15Dkh
Ca~~ 465
PH~~ 8.2
salinity~~ 1.025

I have some softy , zoa, GSP and SPS frags that came from a quitting reefer that are ready to go into the new system and unfortunatly are scattered on the bottom of my 30G since i dont have room for those guys.

I dont expect this system to go through any kind of cycle since I have a giant skimmer, carbon and phosban running in there Now.

I want to move those frags in their place in the new system tommorow but Alk got me worried a little bit.

Am I fairly safe to do so, or should I try and wait till alk drops a little and will it drop without any corals in the tnak to consume it?

Also is there any negative effects to running phosban in my sump at all times ( about a cup in a nylon sock)?

thanx
-Eugene

Randy Holmes-Farley
10/03/2006, 06:18 AM
I'd measure ammonia in it, but it may be fine to start slowly adding organisms. If there were substantial numbers of organisms that got crushed and died on transfer, the skimming/carbon/Phosban will not prevent an ammonia spike. I would not worry about the alkalinity, except to wonder how it got that high.

There is no problem with GFO (like Phosban) 24/7, unless you push phosphate too low.