PDA

View Full Version : too much heat (without lights)

saxerphoner
10/03/2006, 08:05 AM
I recently installed a super skimmer 65 (hob) onto my 20H. I also have a maxijett 1200 inside the tank. I've completely taken out my heater and my tank still raises in temperature by two degrees every night... this is when there are no lights running and no fans either.

Does this sound familiar to anyone and is there anything less than a chiller I can do about it?

Thanks!!!

dougchambers
10/03/2006, 10:17 AM
What type of lighting are your running? Is it in a hood or pendant style? One thing to try is the addition of a fan blowing across the light fixture or surface of the tank. The 6" clip-on fans are popular for cooling hoods and creating a little evaporative cooling.

-Doug

silverwolf72
10/03/2006, 10:26 AM
Add a fan that blows across your sump or top of the tank. Any submerged pump is going to add some heat to the tank. 20H is not going to have very much surface area to get rid of that heat so you need to get more air moving across the waters surface, that should help.

saxerphoner
10/03/2006, 10:34 AM
I was just worried that these pumps shouldn't be getting that hot... i thought it was strange that my temp was going up at night with no light running. The temp goes back down when my fan comes on in the morning so I'll just keep doing that...

Thanks!!