PDA

View Full Version : How much nipping is to much

jallard
10/03/2006, 06:03 PM
So I introduced my little allardi clown to my display tank and my female started picking on him right away. Nothing to scary....just nipping a lot. No mouth locking. The little guy is now in the rear of my tank avoiding her. Should I worry ?

traveller7
10/03/2006, 07:37 PM
Always be concerned, but I normally will not pull the fish unless there are open wounds and or torn fins. A single chunck out of a fin is not enough for me to pull one.

Noting the above:
If the fish does not get a chance to eat, does not show any sign of submitting, and the female is relentless over a few days, I pull them.

Did the new addition even make and attempt at submitting?

fwiw: I have not had any of my clarkii complex species lip lock, but I have only had a few so that is very anecdotal.

jallard
10/03/2006, 07:57 PM
the new fish did start to shake and appeared to be submissive. There is a big size difference.....so I didn't think dominance should have been an issue. But what do I know :)

jallard
10/04/2006, 01:57 PM
just an update...my lil' allardi clownfish pretty much stays by itself, however he will come over to my female and she seems to tolerate him. The nipping seems to be over....at least for now.