PDA

View Full Version : moving fairies.

achillesheel
10/03/2006, 11:07 PM
im moving to a larger tank soon and have been told that a lot of fairies have major issues with moving. has anybody experienced this? if so what suggestions do you have to ease the stress. i have a pintail wrasse that i really dont want to lose along with a pair of roseafacias.

i never considered this to be a threat with these fish and am now petrified. have i been told wrong.

jmaneyapanda
10/04/2006, 06:22 AM
I dont know what you've been told, but ive seen fairyies moved frequently without issue. Just always follow smart husbandry protocol- dont add aggressive fish first, and keep the tank enclosed or covered.

ObscurityKnocks
10/04/2006, 06:46 AM
They have a reputation as not shipping well, but moving into a new tank in your home should be no issue. I don't know about the poor shipper either as I have ordered about 9 fairy wrasses online and everyone arrived in perfect health.

Laura D
10/04/2006, 08:32 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8273133#post8273133 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ObscurityKnocks
I don't know about the poor shipper either as I have ordered about 9 fairy wrasses online and everyone arrived in perfect health.

Ug, really? I got in two shipments from a very reputable online retailer of lubbocks fairies, and kept opening boxes of dead and nearly dead fish. Who do you order from? Mine seemed to be packed wonderfully, I don't know what else they could have done, the second shipment they sent to replace the first had each fish packed in a huge bag, triple bagged, plenty of water, and dead fish.

I really want to get more fairies!

fishermania
10/04/2006, 10:05 AM
Really I have gotten a dozen or so shipped over the years and only 2 have shown up dead. This I think to due to UPS or FEDEX both times the boxs where beat to hell. In fact I just a group of 3 Redfinned fairies
and lubbock from BlueZooAquatics.com about a week ago. They are all out and eating flakes in less then 36 hours. I have orderd from liveaquaria and a few other places in the past with no problems. I have lost some of my previous wrasses due to aggression and jumping out of the tank, but the fish were always healthy.

ObscurityKnocks
10/04/2006, 10:32 AM
I order from LiveAquaria. I just received a Lubbocks, a pink margin and a ruby head 2 weeks ago. In the past I received a Laboutei, Scott's and 2 Peacock Fairies. Unfortunately 1 of the peacocks they sent me that was supposed to be a female was actually a subadult or juvenile and as it matured after a couple of months it murdered the other Peacock right in front of me. Ofcourse LiveAquaria immediately credited me for the fish.

achillesheel
10/04/2006, 01:05 PM
i guess my real question is how they do from tank to tank. what i was told was that once established it is very perilous to remove them and place them in a new tank. how many have moved their tank or upgraded and lost fairies during the move.?

jmaneyapanda
10/04/2006, 02:34 PM
see myu previous post