PDA

View Full Version : need a serious solution for serious alge

motoxracing782
10/04/2006, 02:08 PM
i have a 14gallon bio cube with a serious alge problem, i need an extreme solution to my extreme problem. anyone with a serious answer to green long hair algea please help. i need all the help i can get

hopper
10/04/2006, 02:55 PM
You probably have excess nutrients in your tank that the GHA is feeding off of. This is caused by any number of things. More common reasons are, excessive feeding, poor skimming, not doing water changes and not using RO/DI water. It can also be caused by your lighting. If you have old bulbs, they will cause a algae bloom. I'm not saying that you aren't doing any of this, I just don't know what you are and are not doing, so I'm just offering suggestions. HTH

hopper
10/04/2006, 02:57 PM
You probably have excess nutrients in your tank that the GHA is feeding off of. This is caused by any number of things. More common reasons are, excessive feeding, poor skimming, not doing water changes and not using RO/DI water. It can also be caused by your lighting. If you have old bulbs, they will cause a algae bloom. I'm not saying that you aren't doing any of this, I just don't know what you are and are not doing, so I'm just offering suggestions. Since you only have a 14 gallon, it won't be that hard to just take the rocks out and scrubbing them with a toothbrush in a bucket of RO/DI water. But you will still have to find out what is causing the problem or it will just come back again.

motoxracing782
10/04/2006, 03:09 PM
i use ro/di water i only dose 1-2 times per week im going to try to start to 2 water changes per week.

Randy Holmes-Farley
10/05/2006, 09:59 AM
Water changes are not a good way to keep nutrients low. Better ways include growing macroalgae, skimming, using GFO, etc.

These articles have more:

Phosphate and the Reef Aquarium
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-09/rhf/index.php

Nitrate in the Reef Aquarium
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/august2003/chem.htm

Iron Oxide Hydroxide (GFO) Phosphate Binders
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-11/rhf/index.htm

mburnickas
10/05/2006, 10:01 AM
I am battling Ha, so far, huge water changes and GFO are helping....It takes a LONG time to get rid of.

andyman
10/05/2006, 11:49 AM
I just won my round with GHA. Here is the secret.. don't tell anybody... you need to get rid of those nutrients. Heres what i did..

1. use toothbrush and scrub most of the hair algae out.Take the pieces out and do it in a bucket. If you can't use a hose and siphon while scrubbing.

2. big water change 3 times a week.

3. large number of snails that eat hair algae.

4. make sure you blast any detrites thats hiding in the rocks, water column, and sump

5. I use a product called RF-Gensis from polyp and RF-Fuel. Basically what it does is promote bacterial growth to consume all the nutrients in the water.

After doing the above I have to say I am GHA free. Took exactly 4 weeks. Prior to this I had GHA EVERYWHERE. They were blanketing the sand, the walls, all the rocks, and was on every single piece of rock that didn't have coral attached. It was even almost smothering my Yuma's and zoo's. I'd scrap it off and 2 days later it would grow everywhere again and this would repeat over and over. Right before all the GHA disappeared you could tell it was almost dead. It was changing colors due to lack of nutrient and didn't look very healthy. I simply siphoned it away and let the snails finish it off.

Tripspike
10/05/2006, 08:19 PM
A Mexican turbo snail can make quick work of green hair algae.

Trip

motoxracing782
10/05/2006, 09:25 PM
if you have any links to RF gensis from polyp and rf fuel that would be great! and i have 3 mexican turbos and they did alo tfor like the first 3 days and then just kinda stopped.