PDA

View Full Version : Queen Conch Snail

hrdneglcry
10/04/2006, 04:51 PM
If I buy a 7-8" Queen Conch will it handle the algae on the glass in my 180 by itself? Do I need to feed it extra? Am I taking too large of a risk putting it in with Triggers? In their defense my Nigers, and my Clown Trigger are good at leaving them alone. It was my Picasso that was always trying to eat the snails (Turbos). I have an Assasi Picasso now, and I do not know if he will present the same problem, as the Humu Humu Picasso presented. Input is appreciated. I know it is a gamble with Triggers.
Aslo, I keep several Dardanus Megistos (The Red Hermit Crab). They are between golf ball, and tennis ball size. Could they take down such a large snail?

3D-Reef
10/04/2006, 05:23 PM
I have four queen's and they are rarely out of the sand bed.At least in My tank,they just don't like to climb up the glass or rock.

hrdneglcry
10/04/2006, 06:51 PM
I do not think that mine is a Queen. I just bought it. It was sold as a Conch Snail. It is thickest in the middle. I think the Queen gets thick near one end. My substrate is crushed coral. I saw it on the glass at the store yesterday. Today it was buried in the gravel. In any case, if the fish, or crabs do not kill it it is a neat inhabitant to own.