PDA

View Full Version : Best Filtration??

carnophage
10/04/2006, 07:38 PM
i am in the process of setting up a 150 gallon tank. i have a wet/dry, or trickle down, what ever it is called. the one with the bio balls. but i have heard that they are nitrate bombs. i was thinking of replaceing the wet/dry with a 30 gallon refugium with lots of live rock and a deep sand bed. and adding some Chaetomorpha and lots of little critters. and still having a skimmer of course. does anyone have any inputs, or is anyone running such a system with sucess now?? Thanks!!!

Apocallypse
10/04/2006, 09:00 PM
That is a great idea, alot of people use this setup. I've heard alot of people convert their wet/dry sumps to refugiums and rip out the bio balls.

a good skimmer to remove a good amount of DOC, what ever remains in the tank the liverock/DSB can covert the rest. Add the refugium with some good nutriant absorbing plants would be a godo start. get some good water movement to help the process out too.

I had a similar setup but instead of a wet/dry i had a cannister filter which i later changed to a CPR aquafuge ( hang on back refugium ). I'm having alot of success with this.

reef_doug
10/04/2006, 09:05 PM
Are you going to keep corals, SPS, LPS, Fish w/ Live Rock, etc...

I'm currently researching the ZEOvit system for a mixed reef w/ SPS.

Check out ZEOvit.com (http://www.zeovit.com/)

Best
Doug