PDA

View Full Version : feeding xenia??

weekendplayer
10/04/2006, 09:35 PM
I"m trying to feed my pulsating xenia with Lugol's solution but I'm not sure how much to mix. The bottle says 1 drop per 25g of aquarium water or it can be diluted in 1 cup of aquarium water and administer over the Xenia. My problem is it doesn't say how many drops per cup. I'm assuming it's 1 drop per 1 cup. Is this right? Thanks

AIMFish
10/04/2006, 09:56 PM
1 drop for every 25 gallons, diluted in the cup first, then poured into the tank. Chances are your xenia will be fine without it. Enough iodine is in the sea salt that you use and water changes should keep levels fine, unless you have a ton of xenia I guess!

weekendplayer
10/04/2006, 10:03 PM
So it's the same amount that you would put in the tank regularly, just dilutied in the cup? I only have 1 frag of xenia, that problem is that when I first put it in the tank it went down hill. Though maybe was from light shock. I came from a dimmly lit tank. I hace 2 250 14k HQI and 2 actinic 110 VHO's on 105 g tank. Moved them to area of tank with less light and no change. It's been about 3 wks now and they are just starting to open up again. I was going to give them a boost with the lugol's solution but wasn't sure on the mix. Thanks for you help.

PatrickJ
10/04/2006, 11:38 PM
your saltmix should support a healthy population of xenia. Dosing iodine products such as loguls, can be dangerous. What are your iodine levels right now?

I hope that you are not putting chemicals into your tank without knowing the present levels in the tank. (that can kill your tank in too high of concentrations)

I would live it alone. Iodine is supplied through water changes and the population of your xenia would not require supplementation.

Are you familiar with Coral Connection?

weekendplayer
10/04/2006, 11:50 PM
No what is Coral Connection?

AIMFish
10/05/2006, 05:01 AM
Xenia is kinda funny. It grows extremely well, once acclimated to the new tank, usually meaning days not hours. I've moved it between tanks that I take care of and had some die. Check other levels to, pH, kh, etc, between the tank it came from and the tank it's in now.

RA
10/05/2006, 06:01 AM
I have xenia in my tank that I have to prune out every couple of weeks. I don't add any iodine or other supplements and it grows like a weed. Be carefull where you place it so that it doesn't spread through your entire tank, it is very hard to get rid of it. I had a rock that was covered in it and I took it out, ran it under hot water in the sink and scrubbed it with a wire brush, and it still came back. I looked in your gallery and saw that you have MH lighting, xenis loves the light and in time should grow well.