PDA

View Full Version : Black tang

SaltTankGirl
10/05/2006, 01:46 PM
I am new to the reef forums and I hope I got the right one. I just wanted to see how many other people had seen a black tang in person. I hadn't ever seen one (except online) until I went into this aquarium store in Kernersville, NC. It is much better looking in person. I don't have the money for it or it would be in my tank right now! I have seen them online for around $700 bucks and you never know what its going to look like. They have one for only $400.....yeah....as I said if I had the money for it it would be at my house. I am just wondering how easy it is to get a hold of one, because I have never seen one in a store before.

geekreef_05
10/05/2006, 01:52 PM
Ive never seen one before either. Honestly Ive never heard of one until now.

Let me assure you that better be the coolest fish you've ever seen cause for $400 thats seriously insane. I bought my yellow for $30 and my blue for $35.

If its truely a 'black tang' then it is surely rare indeed. But no tang is worth $400. That much I can assure you of.

Reeling Reefer
10/05/2006, 02:02 PM
Is it a gem tang?

Travis L. Stevens
10/05/2006, 02:19 PM
I've seen the Zebrasoma rostratum in person before. They are beautiful. Personally, I'ld settle for a really dark Zebrasoma scopas because of the cost ;)

Bebo77
10/05/2006, 02:23 PM
never seen on in person but i hear that they are beautifull and if you think that costs alot.. gem tanks are thousands each... because they are so rare...

xtrstangx
10/05/2006, 02:34 PM
Black Tangs are very beautiful.

Most of them that come in are large or extra large, not many smalls. Also, I've noticed that they are much more available than they used to be (compared to 6 months ago)

SDguy
10/05/2006, 02:39 PM
I've seen several in person. They are pretty. Nothing I would spend hundreds of dollars for, but to each their own. BTW, phishybusiness has a tiny one right now for sale....but I've heard small ones can starve too easily.

Scott F Foster
10/05/2006, 02:50 PM
I have seen and I currently own three of the black tangs. Currently they are in a 300 gal reef set up. I think they are worth the money (500 a piece). This fish is very hard to get, it took me almost 3 years to get my small school. Word of warning, make sure it is a "true" black tang some people sell black tangs that really are not, it is usually their cousin the black Scopas tang. You can tell the real thing because its nose is quite a bit longer than the Scopas and the tell tale sign that it is real is if you look across their back area (dorsal side) you will see a tinge of green going across their backs. Good luck

Bebo77
10/05/2006, 03:04 PM
[welcome]

Scott F Foster Over 1 year as a member and this is your 1st post... nice.. what took you so long?