PDA

View Full Version : Question about rock/rubble found on beach.

ek9vboi
10/05/2006, 02:20 PM
Although this has been covered a lot lately, I am still iffy about using the rubble I got from the beach.

Now I didn't want to use bleach the rocks b/c of possible contamination with the tank and we all know how much we love our tanks! Who knows what could have been absorbed into the rocks considering that it was collected by the shoreline.

So this is what I did...

1) cleaned the rocks with tap water 2 times - let it dry in the sun
2) cleaned it with ro/di water once - let it dry in the sun
3) now it is soaking in a bucket with old SW I am using from my waterchanges.

Its been 2 weeks already and I have used 2 pieces of rubble. Everything seems fine, they are getting covered with coraline algae pretty nicely. Quicker then my other LR that have been in the tank.

Now I just wanted to know should I just keep the rubble in the bucket for a longer amount of time or can I add them into my tank?

Paul B
10/05/2006, 02:26 PM
Pick it up and smell it. If you don't smell something rotten, put it in your tank. You could have just put it in your tank from the beach if you wanted to without going all through that.
Paul

Agu
10/05/2006, 02:49 PM
I put rock, snails, hermit crabs and macroalgae directly in my tank from the Gulf, when there isn't active red tide.

Paul B
10/05/2006, 03:18 PM
Almost everything in my tank I picked up in the sea including the water.

seaduck
10/05/2006, 04:21 PM
I used to feed my tangs seaweed, including caulerpa, collected from the gulf. I would rinse it off with fresh tap water then put it into the tank......One day i put a cluster of redish seaweed, which i fed on a regular basis, in the tank and the next day my blonde naso starting breathing very heavy and his color changed to black from grey. I took out the seaweed and did a 25% water change but he got progressively worse and died the next day...he had been my pet for 5 years. The other tangs and foxface where just fine. I thought that he had contracted a disease like odenium or some other parisite or maybe red tide bacteria.......to this day, 3 years later, i am still afraid to put anything from the gulf into my reef tanks. U never know what u may get and i dont think its worth the risk.

ek9vboi
10/05/2006, 06:23 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8283983#post8283983 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by seaduck
I used to feed my tangs seaweed, including caulerpa, collected from the gulf. I would rinse it off with fresh tap water then put it into the tank......One day i put a cluster of redish seaweed, which i fed on a regular basis, in the tank and the next day my blonde naso starting breathing very heavy and his color changed to black from grey. I took out the seaweed and did a 25% water change but he got progressively worse and died the next day...he had been my pet for 5 years. The other tangs and foxface where just fine. I thought that he had contracted a disease like odenium or some other parisite or maybe red tide bacteria.......to this day, 3 years later, i am still afraid to put anything from the gulf into my reef tanks. U never know what u may get and i dont think its worth the risk.

That is what I am worried about, bacteria and diesease from the ocean into my reef tank. I forgot about smelling it, it should be fine but I will keep it in my bucket for another week to be safe.

Ryanqk
10/05/2006, 06:39 PM
eric red tide is a big deal on the west coast where im from but we dont get it over here, at least ive never heard of it here.... If we had that stuff here i'd never put anything in while there was a bloom.

ek9vboi
10/05/2006, 07:09 PM
too bad the other thread got locked. oh well, I found what I needed.