PDA

View Full Version : Extruded Cast Acrylic Sheets For DIY Aquarium

DC_Cichlid
10/05/2006, 02:43 PM
I have been making calls around some of the plastic shops out of town, and I found Redwood Plastics. ( www.redwoodplastics.com )

I gave them a call to find out if I can buy CELL CAST Acrylic, however they dont carry it as it is more expensive than Extruded? Cast Acrylic.

The question is, im thinking of making a 120 Gal tank for now, then maybe something larger within a couple months. But will this EXTRUDED acrylic sheets work? or is it something I should stay away from?

What other types of acrylic sheets should be available, and what is good to use besides cell cast, as im far from a plastics pro.

Any help would be awesome!

Dave

CoolUsername
10/05/2006, 03:25 PM
You only want cell cast. It will be worth it for a display.

Check the tenth post in the following thread (by Acrylics):

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=943327

You'll see the difference in quality

a4twenty
10/05/2006, 05:40 PM
cell cast definitely for something that big.

Andrew
10/05/2006, 06:41 PM
[welcome]

Get cell/clear cast. Looks alot better and is stronger from what I've heard. I've worked with extruding before it's a pain and cracks easy.

DC_Cichlid
10/05/2006, 10:31 PM
Sounds like cell cast is the way to go!

Ill contact them again and see if they can bring any in. If not, I will have to buy from another glass shop, and they charge $500 CND, $450 US a sheet of 1/2" :eek1:

CoolUsername
10/06/2006, 12:08 AM
I priced a 4'x8'sheet of 1/2" cell cast in Phoenix 6 months ago and it was around $340. Dunno how prices vary from place to place, but that might help be a reference for you.

Stidd
10/06/2006, 04:46 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8286820#post8286820 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by CoolUsername
I priced a 4'x8'sheet of 1/2" cell cast in Phoenix 6 months ago and it was around $340. Dunno how prices vary from place to place, but that might help be a reference for you.

whoa!
Thats VERY high...

What is the price of gas like there? I just read that the price of oil affects acrylic...

Guy

Acrylics
10/06/2006, 08:19 AM
For that kinda money, might be worthwhile to drive down to Seattle to buy it and pay the Provincial. You can get a NAFTA to avoid that "other" duty.
BTW, it's either extruded *or* cell cast, you want the cell cast IMO and stick with good names like Poycast, Cyro Acrylite GP, and Plexiglas G. There are a coule of "tweeners" called "continuous cast" but not readily available in 9mm or 12mm an not exactly recommended.

HTH,
James