PDA

View Full Version : Tang compatibility, only one or can you do two?

rachelcb80
10/06/2006, 08:52 AM
I suppose I'll probably get mixed opinions on this because that seems to be all I've found reading elseswhere. I have a 125 gal. that is ready for some fish and I have several ideas of fish I really want to eventually have, but I don't have a list set in stone. I know I want "a" Tang, and would really like to have two different types but I don't know if 1.) my tank is big enough 2.) there are any two species that can safely coexist together. I know there are a few species that just get to darn big, like the Sailfin or the Naso. Is there any other Tang the Yellow Tang will get along with? I really like the PBT but I know it probably needs to be the only Tang in the tank. Should I just go that route?

Also, is the Tang(s) the first fish I want to bring in to the tank or should they come behind something else? I'd like to have a few Chromis or Damsels but which type is not something I've figured out yet. I know for absolute sure I want a pair of Ocellaris Clowns and I want to introduce them with a host anemone so they will be some of the last fish to go in because of the anemone. I'll probably get a Wrasse, though again not sure of type yet. Other than that, I've looked at lots of other fish but nothing just excites the heck out of me. Well except the Bannerfish (Heniochus Acuminatus) but I know they'll nibble at corals and I am set on having a pretty reef tank some day.

Anyways, if someone could throw out some ideas and opinions I'd appreciate it! (Oh also, when can I bring some shrimp in? I want a few Cleaner Shrimp and Peppermint Shrimp)

Rachel

jda
10/06/2006, 09:03 AM
There are many factors that come into play. First, your skill as a hobbist to keep the fish happy will matter. Second, the size of the fish and room in the tank will play a role too. Third, the kind of tang will matter because some require less room/food and are not as sensititve to stress.

Most tangs will coexist nicely if all of their needs are met. They need to be fed (a lot), have room to swim and hide and feel unthreatened. The hobbist will need to keep the fish unstressed by keeping high-quality, consistent water chemistry.

For the new tank, I would recommend staying away from any of the tangs that you mentioned for a while - the likely instability of the new tank won't suit them. Maybe 6-12 months. You might consider looking into the bristletooth tang group. Chocolate Mimic Tang is my favorite, is not agressive and should do quite nicely in a newer 125G.

Look at the fairy wrasses. Carpenters fairy wrasse is a pretty wrasse that is available, cheap and hardy. You can get harems of fairy wrasses with a male and several females that can be very active and pretty.

Shrimp can come after your N cycle is finished for good. Don't plan on seeing the peppermints too much. I have 15-20 and I only see them if I walk by at night.

rachelcb80
10/06/2006, 09:21 AM
jda,

Hadn't heard of the Chocolate Mimic Tang so I did a search and that is one darn pretty fish! But where on Earth can I get one? My one and only LFS has very slim pickins' and I'm really not crazy about the store anyways. Is there an online vendor you would reccomend? (liveaquaria.com has the Mimic Lemon Peel but that isn't the same fish is it?)

Thanks for the input! I'll look in to those Wrasses!

Rachel

Monkeyfish
10/06/2006, 09:21 AM
I've found that the skunk cleaner shrimp tend to be out in the open the most as compared to peppermints, fire/blood, camels, etc.

A hippo and a yellow tang would probably get along fine if there was plenty of food and rockwork.

lawdog
10/06/2006, 09:31 AM
You can definately do two Tangs in a 125 gallon tank. You should do one of each body type to avoid conflicts.... Like you can do a Regal and a Yellow or Purple or a PB and a yellow but not a Regal and a PB...

I personally have a Regal (love the blue) and a Tomini Tang in my setup. The Regal is king and the Tomini stays smaller and is of the bristeltooth family body style. Tangs are my favorite fish. When I seup my big 300 gallon main tank I will look to add two more... With enough room they are fine.

jda
10/06/2006, 09:33 AM
The whole bristletooth tang family/group are nice fish. Check them out. They also stay relatively small and can likely live their entire lives in a 6' tank.

I don't order online. I am blessed with a outstanding LFS close to me. Have you apprached your LFS about special ordering? Most of the fish that you have mentioned are common at most wholesalers and you ought to be able to get one if you wait. If you don't trust the quality of the tanks at the store, you can always take the fish straight home out of the shipping bag.

You might want to research a quarantine tank. It might come in handy with the newness of your tank and lack of a quality store to inspect animals before purchase.

jda
10/06/2006, 09:37 AM
I don't buy into the body type theory. A lot of people do, and I respect that. I have a black, 2 purples and just got rid of a large yellow (all zebra tangs), and they were/are all fine. They need their needs to be met. If you don't meet their needs, they will get agressive and/or sick/stressed. Once they do, all kinds of things can happen and maybe body type comes into play here.

Choose carefully. Choose a fish where you can meet their needs and they will pay you back with years of stress free reefkeeping.

BTW - Tomini is a terrific bristletooth. Chevron is cool too. There are two kinds of mimic tangs. Chocolate is one of them.

thor32766
10/06/2006, 04:23 PM
yeah a bristletooth is a great fish, so is the chocolate. JDA hit the nail on the head, my purple and yellow dont even look twice at another and they are the same body types also. The whole key to tangs is meeting their needs. These guys are grazing fish by nature. So they eat all day long. So when they dont get feed enough they become more aggressive, just like us humans beings. Feed tangs atleast twice a day along making sure they get their noir everyday. A well feed tang is a well behaved tang. Good luck with your choices.

willjeff
10/06/2006, 04:53 PM
I have a chocolate mimic tang and he/she is great, although it is the only one as I have a 90g.