PDA

View Full Version : New corals

cam1102
10/06/2006, 09:07 AM
I just got a new closed brain coral the lighting says medium and i have place it half way up on the tank do you think this is good placement. I have four 64 watt not metal hallides. also what are some really colorful corals that could be added that dont require expert knowledge.

Avi
10/06/2006, 10:10 AM
By "closed brain," I would think you mean something like Favia or Favites? If that's what you have, you can place it on the rockwork so long as it's on a place that is secure and it won't fall off. It should be in a place that gets a decent amount of water flow over it, so be sure that you have enough water movement in your reef.

If you want colorful, there are a lot of choices. Look at the huge variety of zoanthids that are available. I'd think that you have power compact lighting and you mean that the bulbs are 65-watts, not 64. If that's the case, I'd recommend that you keep any zoanthids toward the top of your rockwork. Also, I'd recommend Blastomussa Wellsi...that's not as common as the zoanthids are, but there are a lot of colorful variations that you can find and they're very hardy coral that don't need intense lighting to flourish.