PDA

View Full Version : Turbo's eat GSP?

matasw
10/06/2006, 01:41 PM
I got a GSP about a month ago, the poor guy just opened up last night. 2 Hours later i look over and my damn turbo is hanging out right on top of him. I check back later and i dont see any of the polp's anymore just the purple mat. Did he eat them? Or are they just hiding?

theatrus
10/06/2006, 01:46 PM
They're just hiding.

matasw
10/06/2006, 01:47 PM
hope so, i almost tossed them out wednesday night when doing some cleaning becuase they hadn't opened. I was so happy to see them open last night, then that stupid turbo had to come along.

Shiandy
10/06/2006, 01:47 PM
The polips will retract if anything comes in contact with them, I'm sure its fine.

bertoni
10/06/2006, 02:55 PM
If the snail really is a Turbo, I doubt it ate the polyps, although it might have dislodged them. More likely, the polyps are just retracted, as suggested.

jgoodrich71
10/06/2006, 03:04 PM
If it really turns out that he did eat the GSP, could you please send him my way.:D

Marinemom
10/06/2006, 11:38 PM
Most corals will retract if anything crawls across them or comes in contact with them. Chances are this coral is fine and will open again when it feels that the danger has passed.

Marinemom

theatrus
10/07/2006, 01:02 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8290232#post8290232 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jgoodrich71
If it really turns out that he did eat the GSP, could you please send him my way.:D

Ditto. It would make a great companion to my Xenia eating Urchin.

jdieck
10/07/2006, 01:30 AM
GSP usually develop film algae on them that they need to shed, if there is not enough flow the algae lingers. Snails usually do not even bother crawling on them unless your poor snail was starving, in any case it might be making the polyps a favor. Get a turkey baster and blow off any detritus off the polyps, the snail will have no reason to crawl over it anymore. You need to glow it off once in a while.
By the way Trurbos need a lot to eat, if you do not have enough of the right algae in your tank wrap some nori an a small piece of rock with a rubber band to feed your snails