PDA

View Full Version : two zoo questions

Rsk8r4lif
10/06/2006, 02:44 PM
So my first question is referring to the radioactive dragon eyes i posted in the ID thread that there was the big argument about. When i first got them, , they looked like the pictures where people said were real RDA's, but now they look like the picture i posted basically almost only a green mouth, instead of an intesnse green. What causes color loss like this? and my second question is how come when theres a large colony of zoo's like 50, they spread really fast, but if you only have two, it takes forever?

dc_909
10/06/2006, 03:52 PM
Genrally color loss is caused by lighting and water quality.

Rsk8r4lif
10/06/2006, 04:58 PM
its got a 175 W metal halide, and its only a 20g tank, it shouldn't be lack of light, and as far as i know the water quality is healthy, everything else is growing great, leathers, colt, shrooms, monti's, gsp. but these zoa's lost their color for some reason.

Reef Junkie
10/06/2006, 05:44 PM
What's your alk?
Low alk tends to cause corals to lose some of their color.

Rsk8r4lif
10/06/2006, 10:15 PM
i'll have to test that tomorrow at work. i'll let you know.

Reef Junkie
10/07/2006, 07:57 AM
fyi, sometimes there are a lot of factors that cause a depressed alk and ph.
Can you describe your setup?
Plus, a full tank picture is also very helpful.

Rsk8r4lif
10/08/2006, 12:12 AM
hm ok i have a 20 g long tank, with two wisper HOB filters converted to refugiums, they have an 18 w power compact light on those. then i have the water filled to about, four inches below the top, and a 175 W metal halide light on the tank. i'll post a pic a lil later, but before you all yell at me, i know the light is not hung and it needs to be, and will be soon, its got the chain on it and all ready to go, just actually gotta put it up. but anyway... umm yeah my chems are like, ammonia 0 nitrites 0 nitrates under 10, calcium like 500, ph 8.2 i havent tested for anynthing else, i add small amounts of iodine occasionally. and havent yet tested for the alk.

Rsk8r4lif
10/08/2006, 12:16 AM
actually nevermind what i said about the light, its not even sitting on the tank in the only picture i have. also i have alot more corals in there now, that white eggcrate is practically full. i also have a small snowflake eel running around in there now (-: he's my favorite. http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l160/Rsk8r4lif/tankpics010.jpg