PDA

View Full Version : Peppermint Shrimp vs. Aptasia

neyugn0w01
10/06/2006, 07:59 PM
Tried aptasia nudibranch for about 2 months and no difference.
Got 6 peppermint shrimp today and I know it is a hit or miss thing. What are the chances that the aptasia will be gone?

The Saltwater Kid
10/06/2006, 08:02 PM
I've heard that there are two different kinds of Peppermint Shrimp and only one will eat aiptasia while the other will pretty much leave it alone. I have the same problem and was considering trying a Berghia Nudibranch after trying Joe's Juice with limited success.

ADA33
10/06/2006, 08:31 PM
I put in 2 perpermints and the aptasia was gone in a week. But the poor things got eaten by my phsudochromis(sp?)

Now I use Berghia Nudibranch

medic29
10/06/2006, 08:31 PM
My perpermint shrimp did the trick for me. No more stuff anywhere.

Drakis
10/06/2006, 08:42 PM
I also had sucess with peppermint shrimp, but I did not have many aptasia....

xinumaster
10/06/2006, 08:51 PM
I got very good success with peppermint shrimp. They totally eradicated aptasia in my tank.

newreefbishop
10/06/2006, 08:52 PM
My shrimp destroyed all of it.....and Joes Juice took out the ones that they missed.....

whalloper
10/06/2006, 08:52 PM
I had a zoo colony that covered an entire rock with aptasia scattered in between, stinging the zoos... didnt know how else I was gonna get rid of them. Got a peppermint shrimp, they arent there anymore.

Orm Embar
10/06/2006, 11:00 PM
2 species of peppermints-

1) Lysmata species (think wurdemanni but not sure) - the aiptasia eating ones When I had one, no aiptasia. After it died, did notice a few.

They are the ones that look like standard skunk cleaners but are more translucent and have fine red lines on the body. No real white markings that I recall.

2) Rhynocetes peppermints - these are less likely to eat Aiptasia and more likely to pester corals (never had them, by report and reading).

Basically, they are definitely worth a try and my #1 choice, just make sure they are Lysmata peppermints. If that fails, kalk injections. Good luck!

Mishap
10/06/2006, 11:13 PM
I've had peppermints sit next to my aiptasia and do nothing, where I've had others rip them apart.

I added two tiny tiny Berghia's on thursday, too soon to notice any impact.

nebraskareef
10/07/2006, 03:45 AM
The confusion and myth about 2 different peppermint shrimp is basically a problem with common names. The true peppermint shrimp, Lysmata- are the ones who eat the aip's. The other shrimp in question are "camel" shrimp, please forgive me I don't know the latin name.

That said, I usually hit them with joes juice and keep a couple peppermint shrimp on staff full time. Joes juice seems to get clumped up and clogs the syringe days after initial use, adding RO water doesn't seem to help, just a heads up.

Peppermints are a better choice than berghia as the berghia will always need aips to live. They will eradicate all that they can find, and then die, only to have a small piece behind that flourishes into an aiptasia forest. This can be avoided if you've got friends/reef club that you can pass the berghia around with to keep them alive. Peppermints however, will eat all kinds of stuff in the tank, and you won't have to deal with the ramifications of keeping the expensive nudi alive.

MJAnderson
10/07/2006, 07:41 AM
2 peppermints who don't touch the stuff in my tank. Worthless additions...

Buster4900
10/07/2006, 08:45 AM
Two Peppermints in my 46 gallon covered Aptisa did a great job.

ReefBuilderNJ
10/07/2006, 08:57 AM
i havent had success with peppermint but have had success with copperband butterflies

ReeferAl
10/07/2006, 02:46 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8293357#post8293357 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by nebraskareef
The confusion and myth about 2 different peppermint shrimp is basically a problem with common names. The true peppermint shrimp, Lysmata- are the ones who eat the aip's. The other shrimp in question are "camel" shrimp, please forgive me I don't know the latin name.

The camelback shrimp should really never be called a "peppermint shrimp", but it sometimes is.

The problem is more complicated than that though. There are at least 2 and possibly 4 species of western atlantic peppermint Lysmata sp. shrimp:
L. wurdemanni
L. rathbunae
L. bahia
L. pederseni
L. bogessi

These MAY all eat aiptasia. There is also an eastern pacific species:
L. californica

These DO NOT eat aiptasia. They are also colder water species that shouldn't be in a reef tank, but that doesn't mean they aren't sold to reefers as peppermint shrimp.

Allen

neyugn0w01
10/07/2006, 03:26 PM
Great. 2 different types of Peppermint shrimp. Now the waiting game to see if the aptasia will be eaten or my lps. Thanks for all the help though.

poppin_fresh
10/07/2006, 03:28 PM
The Peppermints I bought removed my Aiptasia, but then they dissapeared. I dont know of they traveled off to someone elses tank to battle their aptasia, or if my Sixline got them. I'm leaning more towards the latter.

nebraskareef
10/07/2006, 03:59 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8295416#post8295416 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ReeferAl
The camelback shrimp should really never be called a "peppermint shrimp", but it sometimes is.

The problem is more complicated than that though. There are at least 2 and possibly 4 species of western atlantic peppermint Lysmata sp. shrimp:
L. wurdemanni
L. rathbunae
L. bahia
L. pederseni
L. bogessi

These MAY all eat aiptasia. There is also an eastern pacific species:
L. californica

These DO NOT eat aiptasia. They are also colder water species that shouldn't be in a reef tank, but that doesn't mean they aren't sold to reefers as peppermint shrimp.

Allen

Wow! I never knew the issue was this deep! Thanks for filling us in Allen!

revclyburn
10/07/2006, 10:16 PM
Maybe someone will start a nudibranch or aiptasia eating peppermint shrimp service. I need something to eat the aiptasia I have in my tank. A guy that works at a LFS gave me something else to try, just haven't had the time to try it. Will post what the results are as soon as I try it. I know I saw him use it and the aiptasia just melted on the spot. A large aiptasia required a double dose, but it's not there anymore. So, it works, and definitely will be using it in a week or so. So, anyone have any shrimp they want to sell, need them for maintenance purposes.

RevClyburn

mop688
10/07/2006, 10:31 PM
I had a bad aiptasia problem. I got 2 pepermint shrimp. they ate all the small aiptasias but did not touch the big ones. they took a while to eat them but when they started to eat them I never saw a sign of any aiptasia again. I had to use joes juice for the big ones.

The Shrimp X
10/07/2006, 10:40 PM
Their are atleast 2 diffrent species of pep shrimp... the diffrences in the species are very very subtle...
So far i have tried pep in my 29 and didnt really notice any diffrence, but never really had a prob with aptasia. but now my 75 is having a big prob with aptasia, and havnt had a chance to get any shrimp... and am kinda weary cause i have gone throguh many of them in the past that didnt do crap and for some reason only lasted for about a month or so =[

TomDe
10/07/2006, 11:21 PM
Not that it is any help at this point but I used "Stop Aiptasia" from Dr. Fosters and Smith.

All 4 that I hit never came back after the first squirt.

zoster.keeper
10/08/2006, 08:29 AM
Joe's Juice is supposedly very effective and not expensive, however I haven't tried it yet.

I may get some peppermint shrimp... Do they need any food just for them or will they survive on just the stuff from the live rock?

This thread has been very helpful to me so far...

ReeferAl
10/08/2006, 11:14 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8298822#post8298822 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by zoster.keeper
Joe's Juice is supposedly very effective and not expensive,

For the tiny size of the bottle, I would disagree about the "not expensive". It does seem to work though. I have had results at least as good by mixing a little lye into some kalk paste (to give it a little more killing power). That is a whole lot less expensive and the aiptasia don't seem to retract away any more than with Joe's Juice.

Allen

neyugn0w01
10/08/2006, 01:11 PM
Joe Juice and all the other Kalk paste type chemicals work to a certain degree, but requires constant monitoring a work.

Update:
Well, its been three days now and I have not seen an peppermint shrimps. Hopefully the larger cleaner shrimps have not killed them. Also, no change in aptasia population. Might buy some more nudibranch in a week or so.

badpacket
10/08/2006, 06:25 PM
The standard bottle is 2-50 ml I think, however that will allow you to fill the included syringe probably 40-50 times, and you can hit a large number of apt's with 1 syringe. In fact, I use the remainder in a syringe after an aptasia slash and burn to denude waves of GSP's invading my zoa's.
I thought I read that Joe's may be kalk and salt. It does not dilute well with water though, which is weird. Too bad I don't know anyone in the Mass Spec. lab at work.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8299583#post8299583 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ReeferAl
For the tiny size of the bottle, I would disagree about the "not expensive". It does seem to work though. I have had results at least as good by mixing a little lye into some kalk paste (to give it a little more killing power). That is a whole lot less expensive and the aiptasia don't seem to retract away any more than with Joe's Juice.

Allen

ReeferAl
10/08/2006, 08:42 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8301661#post8301661 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by badpacket
The standard bottle is 2-50 ml I think, however that will allow you to fill the included syringe probably 40-50 times, and you can hit a large number of apt's with 1 syringe.

I'm not sure what 2-50 means, but the standard bottle is 20 ml, While it is possible to hit more than 1 aiptasia sitting in an easily accessible area with each syringe, when they are in an area that is harder to get to it can easily take a whole syringe on each to do the job- especially if it is also a large one. That is a minor point though. A price of about $7.00 for 20 ml still seems rather high to me.

Allen

nebraskareef
10/08/2006, 11:25 PM
I just hate the fact that after its initial use, it becomes clumped and will not flow out of the syringe tip, has anyone had the same problem? I'm sure I'm closing the bottle completely, but it just doesn't flow after the first application, forcing me to buy multiple bottles on a 90 day aiptasia "season".

badpacket
10/10/2006, 10:55 PM
Allen, getting anything on an out of the way area is a pain I agree. However The majority of mine end up being relatively accessible from the top of my 72 bowfront, and I hit 5-6 with half a syringe. I assume everyone else turns of their powerheads, and have relatively still water when doing this. I've probably killed 30 aptasia in the past 2 months, and think I still have more than half the bottle, including the GSP denudings. Longer syringes work well too, but you need a thick bore tip.
I really thinkI can end up killing 75-100 aptasia with this size bottle if I had that many. While I expect someone will find out the chemical composition of this stuff sooner or later with it ending up costing maybe $1 a gallon, considering this hobby, I don't see it as a bad price.
But the clumping is a bit of a pain.

bpatrol
10/11/2006, 07:13 AM
using kalk powder with hotwater=kills aptasia dead. with a syringe. good for the big ones but for all the ones you see imagine the ones you dont see.. peppermint shrimps for the small ones.nuff said..bpatrol

SDguy
10/11/2006, 07:52 AM
I think sometimes people expect results too quickly. I dropped peppermints into my tank over a month ago. Slowly but surely, every so often I see one less aptasia. I'm happy with this rate. I think the key is to add them BEFORE you have 100+ aptasias :D

FWIW, I had no luck with Joe's Juice in my old tank. It's like I had smart aptasia, they would always be between polyps, or on vertical sufaces. I would think the JJ got them, but sure enough, they were back in a week or two...looking ragged, but back.

IndyMatt
10/11/2006, 10:22 AM
Don't peppermints eat featherdusters too? What are some of the drawbacks with these?

Hal
10/11/2006, 10:45 AM
I haven't had any luck with Joe's Juice either. First, most of the aptasia's retract as soon as the syringe gets close to them, and the ones I have dosed close in on themselves for a couple of days and emerge smaller but alive.

fours2many
10/11/2006, 11:12 AM
joe's juice, kalk paste either. Everytime I tried it, I would end up with 5 more!!! Its like the stuff made them spread. I bought peppermint shrimp months and months ago. They didn't eat one apastia. I finally got rid of my fish (I want a more peaceful tank) and stopped feeding the tank. Finally the peppermint shrimp ate all of the apastia, even the very big ones. I guess they had to get hungry enough. I just saw a new apastia yesterday, within an hour it was gone. Myabe I was over feeding my fish and the peppermints were to full from scaverging the left overs. I really don't know. I am just glad they are eating them now.

Kristin

badpacket
10/11/2006, 06:37 PM
I don't know about anyone else, but my aptasia seem to feed on the JJ's as dose it. I make sure not to disturb their tentacles as they pull back at that, and I usually try to let the JJ's rain on their open mouth area. Once I give them a little dose that they appear to ingest, I kind of like to give em a good squirt to freak em out on the ouside as well :) Some of the smaller rocks where I had 6-7 med sized ones were killed with one shot, and weeks later, the rock is still ap-free. I think its an application error, or maybe some are trying to bath them in it. Seems to works best when they eat it.

Conky
10/11/2006, 06:52 PM
After discouraging results with kalk injections, I've been using formalin (at the suggestion of my boss) to inject the aiptasia. It seems to work fairly well even when I just spray it on the oral disk. Corals nearby retract after treatment, but seem fine the next day. I probably wouldn't recommend this in a small system, though.

SDguy
10/11/2006, 07:06 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8322398#post8322398 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by badpacket
I don't know about anyone else, but my aptasia seem to feed on the JJ's as dose it. I make sure not to disturb their tentacles as they pull back at that, and I usually try to let the JJ's rain on their open mouth area. Once I give them a little dose that they appear to ingest, I kind of like to give em a good squirt to freak em out on the ouside as well :) Some of the smaller rocks where I had 6-7 med sized ones were killed with one shot, and weeks later, the rock is still ap-free. I think its an application error, or maybe some are trying to bath them in it. Seems to works best when they eat it.

Yes, that's absolutely correct. Mine too would consume the JJ. I tried both ways...letting them eat it. When that didn't work, I tried bathing them in it. A no go as well. Perhaps there are different species/subspecies/variants of aptasia....some react differently to JJ. Just a thought.

dippin61
10/11/2006, 08:22 PM
hit and miss.

when i had mine, they cleaned the whole tank of em. well.. there was only like 10.. but still :p

HolyScoly
10/12/2006, 07:24 AM
i got 2 pepermint shrimp thay got rid of the aptasia problem.now do aptasia tend to pick on corals?

HolyScoly
10/12/2006, 07:25 AM
SORRY I MENT THE PEPERMINT SHRIMP NOT APTASIA

Trigeek
10/12/2006, 07:27 AM
I injeected an aptasia yesterday using kalk. I used the concentrated scum from the bottom of the mix. I also injected it the day before, but saw it yesterday, though it appeared much less healthy. I haven't seen it yet today.

medic29
10/12/2006, 07:28 AM
I got some macro algae from a friend for my refugium, now I have aptasia in my refugium; none has shown up in my display tank, but I have 2 pepermint shrimp in there so they may be taking care of any that show up. They ate what was in there before, which is why I got them. Just wondering if they are an issue in my refugium.

Any thoughts.

Trigeek
10/12/2006, 07:38 AM
I got some macro algae from a friend for my refugium, now I have aptasia in my refugium; none has shown up in my display tank, but I have 2 pepermint shrimp in there so they may be taking care of any that show up. They ate what was in there before, which is why I got them. Just wondering if they are an issue in my refugium.

I would probably put the shrimp in the fuge to rid it entirely from your system.

Hal
10/12/2006, 10:57 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8325372#post8325372 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by medic29
Just wondering if they are an issue in my refugium.

Any thoughts.

Yes, it is an issue. They can and will migrate. Whether they survive the impeller on your return pump remains to be seen, but I wouldn't bet against it. I've had some aptasia show up on my front glass 24 inches above the sandbed.

BradL.
10/12/2006, 11:19 AM
I ADDED 2 small TO MY 50gallon zoa tank and watched the aiptasia disappear.They havent bothered anything but I feed them every other day,.

msman825
10/12/2006, 11:38 AM
a CBB Worked for me

FishyLover
10/12/2006, 11:59 AM
http://www.marinedepot.com/homepage.asp

This aiptasia control works the best that I've tried.

I have had 2 copperbanded butterflies and they didn't touch mine. We've also tried pepermints and they didn't touch it either.

revclyburn
10/12/2006, 09:56 PM
Just tried that stuff today,

will post results. Seems to work fast, and if they don't sprout up anywhere else, I will be more than happy to buy some shares in Blue Line, the mfg. This was recommended to me by a lfs employee, said it worked for him and the have 2 huge tanks of coral to protect.

rev

JJohn
10/12/2006, 11:02 PM
I find it interesting that we all have had different levels of success with the standard fixes. My experience on this subject goes back a long time. I battled aiptasia in the late '80's and early 1990's when little was known about natural predators. I was a young guy who read all he could to try to solve the problem. Every tank that tried to keep corals had aiptasia at some level. CBBF's were the preffered method for extermination for those with big tanks and a lot of fish keeping expertise.

Kalk paste and the other chemical methods seemed the best for the rest of us but, you could never get them all. There were always some behind rocks and other places where you could not get at them. You could keep the population low with these methods but never exterminate them completely.

Then the mystery of the several different species of "peppermint shrimp" was solved. Although two species do eat them, IME only one species is truly effective: L. wurdemanni. The others look almost exactly the same. I have cleared four or more tanks with these shrimp. They do not attack anything that I know of (tube worms, small feather dusters, clams, SPS, Softies, are all safe - of course there are always exceptions). The only issue is that they have been known to rip at a LPS to get a piece of food from it and can do damage in the process.

The other key to success is to not have a lot of other food for the shrimps. If fish food ever hits the sand in your tank, these guys will find it and get used to eating it. If they are hungry they will eat aiptasia. In most reefs they will get enough to stay alive by scavenging at night but will still be hungry enough to clear your tank forever.

Just my experience,
John

revclyburn
10/13/2006, 08:20 AM
I tried this

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/82476blue_life_aiptasia_control.jpg

yesterday, had aiptasia in between some zoas, mushrooms, crevices I thought I couldn't get too, and one on the glass. I applied this stuff and this morning, not a sight on any aiptasia. The shrooms, Zoas are all perked up, and the little slightly noticeable anenomes are gone too. Thsi stuff works great. I'm going to get 2 more bottles as a back up, along with some shrimp. Should they come back, I will have everything I need to get rid of them.

RevClyburn

badpacket
10/14/2006, 12:36 PM
So, how do we know this is any different than Joe's Juice? Seems like they are applied the same. If its milky white, and seems to have both a liquid and some solids in it, then I wouldn't be surprised if its the exact same thing, just under a new name.
Try and get a med-large Aptasia to feed on some of that, and see if it pulls back after ingesting some and is gone 5-10 minutes later.