PDA

View Full Version : Recommendations for cleaner crew items for a new 72G

treminga
10/06/2006, 09:01 PM
I want to get my ducks in a row here as my tank cycles, I want to get a real good set of cleaners before I add fish. Im sure there will be stuff for them to eat for a week before I begin adding fish (this is ALL after my tank finishes cycles which I expect to be next week).

What would people recommend for a FOWLR tank, 72G, with a sand substrate and about 100lbs of live rock?

Thinking a mixture of snails (looking for types and qty) and crabs, a cleaner shrimp and peppermint shrimp, etc. Whatever you would recommend and how many of each would be most helpful! Thanks so much!

beashay
10/06/2006, 09:10 PM
I had some turbo snails and some other snails in my tank that really were not doing much. I went to garf.org and purchased a package of their cleaning crew.. I got 50 snails and 32 mexican crabs, you can look at their site and it will tell you what kind of snails and crabs are the best and how many you need for your tank size. The one I ordered was for a 55 gallon. I had a major algae bloom that was all over the tank and in two weeks it was totally gone and my tank has been clear since. Definitley recommend it, I also purchased some of their garf grunge and was very happy with it as well.

drummereef
10/06/2006, 10:49 PM
I like Astreas, Turbos, Trochus for the glass. Nassarius and ceriths for snails in the sandbed. I also love my fighting conch. Does a great job with the sandbed too. I personally don't like to mix snails and crabs. All my snails seemed to end up escargot when crabs were present in the tank. You can easily find all of these at a good lfs. Take it slow and add as you need too, as algae/detitus problems start to increase.

MJAnderson
10/07/2006, 07:38 AM
I have the same set up as you. I started up with 20 trochus, 10 ceriths and 10 tongan nassarius. I added 10 scarlet hermits, a emerald and a tiger tail cuke. So far the snails and crabs get along nicely. After the 3 month mark I added a fromia starfish.