PDA

View Full Version : fox face.....how much alage will they eat???

supermarvin76
10/06/2006, 09:12 PM
I have been looking for a small yellow eye tang for a while now to help with alage control in my tank. My tank is only going to be set up for about another 8 months at the most. No where around has had any yellow eye (Kole) tangs in the longest time. There was one, but he was pretty big.

There are quite a few fox faces around here at numerous LFS that are on the small side. I am woundering how much alage I can really expect them to eat for me.

Thanks

slothguy
10/06/2006, 10:09 PM
Not a lot. You won't control it with a fox face. Not from my experience anyway. Great fish though...

Mental1
10/07/2006, 06:36 AM
My foxface ate all of the large algae in my tank -- don't know what it is called but it looked like plants growing -- two different kinds -- it is completely gone. Sorry I cannot be more specific about the kind of algae it was but I got my clean up crew from keyscritters.com to deal with more of the algae. The last thing I will get to keep my sand clean is a Watchman Gobie but I have a mantis to catch first.

supermarvin76
10/07/2006, 08:11 AM
So you think I should wait to find a Kole tang?

dc
10/07/2006, 08:13 AM
Mine ate quite a bit, even the cyano.

Mental1 my watchman's have never cleaned any sand, and if you get a sand cleaner, they also eat all the good things you want in there.

dc
10/07/2006, 08:14 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8293901#post8293901 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by supermarvin76
So you think I should wait to find a Kole tang?

Even tangs, aren't guarenteed to eat everything.

Mental1
10/07/2006, 08:54 AM
I am thinking of adding a hangon fuge so even if it cleaned the good stuff out of the sand won't the fuge have the stuff you want?

imtheonlylp
10/07/2006, 11:21 AM
i didnt like my foxface at all...he was WAY skiddish and always changed colors then hid in the rocks when i walked by the tank...not a very cool fish imho

keithntracy
10/07/2006, 01:10 PM
we've had our foxface for 9 months now. very shy in the beginning, but now very friendly. i hand feed him every morning and when i scrape the glass he lets me pet him!
he eats all kinds of macro algea....and bubble algea.

michaeldaly
10/07/2006, 01:43 PM
I have a fox face and it cleared all of my hair algae , but no sooner was it gone when another type of algae took over, that it does not eat.