PDA

View Full Version : Remote MH Ballast Location

navajo
10/06/2006, 09:24 PM
Hello all,

Is it OK to remote the MH Ballast to the attic?

I bought a used setup a while back and it came with (3) 175 W MH bulbs and a monster home made ballast. It is encased in a silver aluminum box and gets a bit warm (as I'm sure you can imagine.)

I had it set outside the stand all summer and my water temp stayed at 79 DEG. But I recently brought home a new puppy so had to move it back under the stand. Now my tank temp rises to 83 DEG during the day then back to 80 ish at night. This is on a 210 GAL Display with 300 GAL sump and fuge in the basement. Not only do I not like the temp swings, but the AC stays on all day and night and it's in the 50's outside around here...

Anyway, I was thinking about remoting it to the attic where the heat wouldn't be a factor at all but am wondering about the climate up there.

It is an older house with the Louvres on the ends of the attic for air circulation. They do not let any water in but what about when it gets foggy? Also, will the high temps in the attic in the summer have any effect on the ballast itself?

It will be positioned about 40' from either end of the attic in the center of the house.

Sorry for the long post and thanks for any comments!