PDA

View Full Version : Acrylic or Glass

RobNJ
10/07/2006, 12:42 PM
When i view my clams in my AGA tank they colors are much different then if i look down at them from the top with no glass in the way.

Does the same thing happen with an acrylic tank? I am wondering if the colors are more vibrant viewing through acrylic then glass.

Thanks
Rob

jmaneyapanda
10/07/2006, 01:19 PM
acrylic is generally more clear than glass, but this is not the issue. Clams are most reflective and beautiful when viewed from above. When you view them from the side, they are far more dull. It has nothing to do with the glass or acrylic, but with the clams design.

RobNJ
10/07/2006, 01:46 PM
Thats unacceptable, please redesign the clams.

a4twenty
10/07/2006, 05:06 PM
try starfire glass

mahoneyc3
10/07/2006, 05:43 PM
its the way the Zooaxellen alge is located in the special tubes in the clams mantle

Jeffrey Porter
10/08/2006, 06:16 AM
i think someone else wrote that it was because of the iron content of the glass.

jmaneyapanda
10/08/2006, 06:37 AM
He is asking why clams look different from the top instead of from the sides. It has nothing to do with acrylic, or iron in the glass, or starphire. it is the way clams are structured.

a4twenty
10/08/2006, 08:46 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8298438#post8298438 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jmaneyapanda
He is asking why clams look different from the top instead of from the sides. It has nothing to do with acrylic, or iron in the glass, or starphire. it is the way clams are structured.

actually he is asking if the colors are more vibrant through acrylic than glass.

and the answer is yes, or use starfire ( low iron ) glass. all the colors in the tank are more vibrant through acrylic / starfire glass. there is no doubt that clams are best viewed from above and that's the way they were created ( a little inconvenient for a home aquarium :mad: )

but... they also look 100 x better ( ehhh make that 1000 x ) when viewed on an angle through acrylic or starfire glass. ( compared to regular glass ).

jmaneyapanda
10/08/2006, 08:59 AM
a4twenty- I agree completely, but i dont think thats what he's asking. When I read the first posts, I think he is talking about looking down, rather than from the side.

I dont want to be misleading and make this guy to think he needs to buy a starphire or acrylic tanks to see his clams.

RobNJ
10/08/2006, 09:20 AM
No i meant exactly what a4t said, i never had and acrylic aquarium and was just curious if there was a difference in colors between acrylic and regular glass. It seems there is....

Acrylic is a little less durable then glass right?

Rob

jmaneyapanda
10/08/2006, 09:43 AM
ok, thanks for clearing it up. acrylic has better clarity, but scratches easier. starphire glass is not cheap, and youll likely have to have a tank special made.

when you're looking down at them, theres usually neither glass or acrylic, though, so I still dont understand your question, I guess.