PDA

View Full Version : Problem with sulphur reactor

jpeg
10/07/2006, 01:41 PM
Hi, help needed to understand sulphur reactor problem.
I've had two of these running on different tanks one has reduced nitrates from 100 ppm to 5 ppm the other is producing nitrite and has had to be turned off, the reactors contain 1 litre of sulphur 2 litres of carbonate, the circulation is 1200 l/h and the output on the one producing nitrite is 1 drip per second, (any faster and the nitrate coming out rises) Can you explain why one has worked well and the other failed.

Thanks John.

DrBegalke
10/07/2006, 02:12 PM
Are they the same size? On similar tanks size and stocking wise?

I would think the reason you are getting nitrite is that it is flowing to fast for the demand and amount of media (even at 1 gt/sec).

If it isn't practical to reduce the rate, I think you could add more sulphur, something more like 1:1 or 2:1, and that might solve the issue.

Maybe these will help:
http://mars.reefkeepers.net/USHomePage/USArticles/SulphurDenitrator.htm
http://www.aquariumfish.com/aquariumfish/detail.aspx?aid=17592&cid=3802&search

P.S. Are you happy with the sulphur method? I have been considering this myself...

jpeg
10/07/2006, 03:58 PM
Thanks Jason, one tank is 100 UK gals and the other (not working) is 120 UK gals both are heavily stocked. Your advise and the links you posted have been a great help, as I can't reduce the output I'll double sulphur making it 2-1.
I've been very happy with this method it reduced the nitrates by 95% in just 6 weeks and everything is thriving.

Thanks again John.

Randy Holmes-Farley
10/07/2006, 04:17 PM
Another factor that might impact the results is the amount of organic matter in the water.

DrBegalke
10/07/2006, 04:29 PM
Good luck, keep us posted!

jpeg
10/07/2006, 04:59 PM
Thanks everyone I'll let you know how it goes.

John.

jpeg
10/16/2006, 03:43 AM
Hi, I doubled the amount of sulphur and after a week it's still not working. With regard to Randys reply

"Another factor that might impact the results is the amount of organic matter in the water."

More detail on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks John.

Randy Holmes-Farley
10/16/2006, 12:17 PM
If the flow is low in such a reactor, and there is substantial organic matter in one tank, the reactor on that tank may become largely a carbon denitrator, rather than involving the sulfur at all.

jpeg
10/16/2006, 12:55 PM
Thanks Randy, organics are high 4 drops using Salifert test kit, we are doing 5 UK gallon water changes per day and looking into a skimmer upgrade.

John.