PDA

View Full Version : 90G wave tank...

Bret61081
10/07/2006, 07:42 PM
I was wondering since its been around over a year now what people think about these tanks. They have one set up at my LFS that he has has over a year now as freshwater and I think it looks pretty cool. He said he would sell it to me at a discount so I have to think about it...but I am not sure if I want to go with this interesting tank or just a regular 90G or 120G...Just wanted some input from some people who had them Thanks

Bret

King-Kong
10/07/2006, 07:47 PM
Personally, the warped glass would give me a headache.

That aside, they're very nice pieces of furniture, but probably not great aquariums.

db_triggerfish
10/07/2006, 08:00 PM
Bret61081, Big AL's aquarium superstore is having a raffle this weekend on a 90 gallon wave tank is the link. I was there this morning when they started it.
http://www.bigalsusa.com/resources/columbus_sale.html

ACBlinky
10/07/2006, 08:15 PM
I worked a large chain pet store (PJ's) that sold loads of tanks. In the 15+ months I was there we sold rectangular, cube, pentagonal, half-round, bowfront and corner bowfronts... but not one single wave. I think a wavefront would be a real challenge to aquascape and the convex/concave glass might distort the image quite a bit -- I'd want to see one filled before I even thought about it.

I want my reef to be a little window into the ocean, so I like the furniture and tank shape to be as little of a distraction as possible. Distortions from seams (hex tanks) or bows detract from the illusion, so I don't really like them. OTOH if you want a really interesting-looking conversation piece, a wavefront might fit the bill nicely :)

ReefEze
10/07/2006, 08:18 PM
I would recommend getting a normal tank.

nosferatu51
10/07/2006, 09:28 PM
I think it could be a cool FW planted tank, but with all the rock and hard nature of much of a marine tank, the form factor would be difficult to work with. If it was seamless and sat on a nice piece of furniture I think there are some places it would look really cool in a house though (eg: If you have big entry doors, put it perpendicular in the middle of the entry hall).

Kogo
10/08/2006, 07:46 AM
personaly i like the rectangular aquariums because they allow the maximum wet area relative to the space they take up.

of course i also love a good deal and trying somthing different.
i say go for it and put a lionfish in it.

the changing optics will give an interesting affect to the lion's fins as he swims around

MyMonkey
10/08/2006, 07:54 AM
I have seen several set up and running. I think they look great. In fact, my wife want's one. Fairly cheap too.

dc
10/08/2006, 08:04 AM
Hey if you like it, go for it. I've never seen one set up, but they look cool.

Bret61081
10/08/2006, 10:40 AM
Anyone have any pics of them set up as a reef?? I want to stick with a 4' tank since I have decent lighting for it already...and I figured this was a pretty neat alternative...