PDA

View Full Version : Terrible Algae problem

mhigg71
10/07/2006, 08:05 PM
I know I am going to get beat up so I am willing to ask for advice with the knowledge of what might be said. That being told I have a question. I have a 39 gallon long FOWLR tank with a H Crispa enemone and 1 rock with about 6 blue green mushrooms on it. I also have a clam, and am in the middle of a terrible hair and red slime algae problem. My question is can I remove the rock and scrub the algae from the rock or will this cause other living things to die and send my troubled tank into a cycle. I am afraid to do this but am out of options that I Know. My fish all seem happy and my enemone is happy, stable, and full. Please help me for I am shamed:mad:

Fcataudo
10/07/2006, 08:10 PM
I have pulled rock out in the past when doing water changes and used a new tooth brush to clean hair algae off. I just do it in a large container filled with the old tank water I am changing then before I return it to the tank I give it a shake in another bucket filled with tank water. It has worked with no ill effects

Cosmo^Kramer
10/07/2006, 08:13 PM
whats your nitrates and phosphates,PH,silicates.Are you using tap water?New tank setup?

mhigg71
10/07/2006, 08:21 PM
Thanks for the reply. I will try to wash the rock in the mannor that you sugested Fcataudo. As for your question Cosmo. I have higher Nitrates and am trying to chase that problem. I have been lax on water changes as of the last month and this is when the problem started. My tank is about 10 months old.

smorrow5773
10/08/2006, 08:11 AM
While you are getting things in order, consider getting a lawnmower blenny to keep things under control. I add one to new tanks to prevent algae during the first few months. Once the algae is gone though you have to supplement or trade it off. They are one of my favorite fish and should do well in your size tank.

saltwater2642
10/08/2006, 08:29 AM
Another idea. I duct taped a tooth brush to a 1" hose and used the hose as a siphon and brush to scrub the rock while it was in the tank. I did this on a few water changes.

If you dont want to do a water change.

Put a sock on the end of the hose, it collects the alge, run the water into a large container and run a return put back into the tank. That way you can clean all day if you want. it more less recycles the water.

mhigg71
10/08/2006, 07:31 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8298823#post8298823 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by saltwater2642
Another idea. I duct taped a tooth brush to a 1" hose and used the hose as a siphon and brush to scrub the rock while it was in the tank. I did this on a few water changes.

If you dont want to do a water change.

Put a sock on the end of the hose, it collects the alge, run the water into a large container and run a return put back into the tank. That way you can clean all day if you want. it more less recycles the water.

Brilliant!!! Thanks for the idea