PDA

View Full Version : Would a bleached BTA have any pink/green/

Raibaru
10/07/2006, 08:12 PM
I was bored today so I took a drive to some of the not-so-local fish stores and every single one had RBTAs. However, they all also were very white with pink bulbs. The pink was semi-translucent.

Just curious if these were healthy specimens? Or were they bleached? Camera phone doesn't take good pictures and I didn't feel right breaking out my digital camera in a fish store.

Hope my description was good enough. If some of you wouldn't mind sharing your BTA pics I'd love to see them.

Genetics
10/07/2006, 09:01 PM
Pink translucent colors labeled RBTAs are usually bleached specimens that may color back up in time. The pink/white though hints that it has been stressed out too much either by shipping or by overheating in the tank.

Raibaru
10/07/2006, 09:12 PM
Yea, don't know much. Was just walking around and found it odd to see so many in one day. When I first started getting into the hobby I couldn't find an anemone if my life depended on it, and today I must have seen about 10 in 3 or so stores. All looked very "white" with clearish pink tips though.

Still a ways off from getting one, but I'm trying to get used to looking at them and being able to make an informed decision on one. Thanks for your input.

JamesJR
10/07/2006, 11:36 PM
Symbiotic clown hosting anemones should always have some noticable hue of brown in it.

Genetics
10/08/2006, 10:36 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8297823#post8297823 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by JamesJR
Symbiotic clown hosting anemones should always have some noticable hue of brown in it.

True. All anemones will have a strong color to them. If they look white they're bleached as a rule of thumb. Also, sometimes the bleached sebae (H. Crispa) has been dyed yellow, sent to merchants, and I would be wary of that.

If you are currently looking around for anemones I would post your tank conditions and setup to see what everyone on this forum thinks would be a good starter. Take those ideas and read up on feeding and any additional requirements.

Raibaru
10/08/2006, 10:56 AM
Well my tank was set up at the end of August and finished cycling within a week into September. I have an AquaC Remora for my skimmer. 130w (2x 65w) PC lighting. I have an AquaClear filter with some chaeto in it just to help keep algea in line (it isn't running on reverse). All in a 36g tank.

For live stock I have a False Percula Clown and a Green Chromis. I hope to have a Black False Percula Clown in the coming weeks/months too. I also have a Skunk Cleaner Shrimp which is 2x the size of my fish so I think it is scaring them more then cleaning them.

For corals I have 2 small zoa frags (one pink and one green), a small xenia frag, a few mushrooms, a single ricordia mushroom, a branching frogspawn and torch frag and a small kenya frag.

I am looking at the BTA because I heard they are good starter anemones plus the size of my tank really limits it to an LTA or BTA. Especially with corals. Of those 2, my lighting really only would work for a BTA.

Intention is to get the BTA some time between thanksgiving and xmas. Just looking around to get used to looking at them and spotting healthy ones and see what kind of stuff happens.

I know a I need to wait, but it is rough. I'm a bit nervous about mountng my corals until the Anemone is in since I hear they wander some. All my corals are either attached to plugs or have their skeletons rubberbanded down. Once I get the anemone and it gets situated I'll have a better idea of where to plan to put my corals more permanently.

Anemone
10/08/2006, 03:34 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8297823#post8297823 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by JamesJR

I understand the reason for this statement (the color of zooxanthellae), but I have to say, many RBTAs do not exhibit ANY noticeable brown coloration.

Mine, for instance -

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-05/totm/images/IMG_0126.jpg

FWIW,
Kevin

JamesJR
10/08/2006, 05:45 PM
These anemones have a hue of brown to them, at least to me. The anemones due have red pigments in them but the xooanthellae does affect the color. If these anemones were bleached you could see the difference.