PDA

View Full Version : nitrates?

mpd525
10/08/2006, 08:36 PM
my nitrates are at about 30ppm, they were at zero, the only thing added to the tank was a scooter blenny. i've read alot on filter's causing nitrates, i have a marineland emporer 330, with the bio-wheel, if these are going to cause nitrates should i take the filter media out, and take the bio-wheel out, and add some other type of media to it? i thought they were at zero, until i tested about 20 minutes ago. thanks.

LittlePuff
10/08/2006, 09:01 PM
Take off the bio-wheel. You can keep a filter for mechanical filtration and circulation, but clean it out with R/O water at least once a week to kill the bacteria. You do have live rock?

schiejr
10/08/2006, 09:02 PM
I would not think that one small fish would cause a spike like that unless you are adding a lot of food in addition. Have you verified your results with a test at the LFS or another kit?

Removing any bio filter such as the wheels may help. A sufficient amount of live rock will be able to handle filtration.

DSBs, wet skimming and macroalgae can help also.

mg426
10/08/2006, 09:22 PM
I agree, ensure that you have accurate info, then take the steps recommended.

mpd525
10/08/2006, 09:38 PM
i've got about 35lbs of live rock, and i'm not feeding anymore than i was before. i guess i'm going to chunk the biowheel. and i had finally got rid of diatoms, and now that i've added a new light, their starting to come back. AAAAAAHHHHHH