PDA

View Full Version : how do i get ride of slime algae??

pogiboy67
10/09/2006, 12:08 AM
ok everyone i have a little slime algae problem. .. the algae is brown/green and they seem to trap air bubbles in them. I have a few corals, 7 chromis and 2 false percs in my tank. what can i introduce to my tank to help battle the problem?

My t5's have been up and running for 10 months now as well and i try not to overfeed my fish

ammonia-0
nitrite-0
nitrate-1
ph 8.5
temp 78-80

drummereef
10/09/2006, 12:20 AM
Make sure you have plenty of flow in the tank, use RO/DI water, and limit the excess nutrients. Are you using a skimmer?

buiboy
10/09/2006, 12:24 AM
www.liveaquaria.com lists several different kinds of snails and crabs that eat cyanobacteria you can go through that and build up a clean up crew. You also want to see if phosphates are your problem and take the appropriate steps. And if all else fails many people have had success with Boyd's chemi-clean.

pogiboy67
10/09/2006, 10:13 AM
yeah thats another question i have...i have a euroreef skimmer and how fast should the cup fill up? i do get skimmate but not a lot like everyone else does. Its in my 1st compartment of my sump too where the water flows in

zedman
10/09/2006, 12:40 PM
by all means clean: scrape, brush, scoop and dispose of. and then try one of the other suggestons. skimmate should be dark in color not tea looking. if not getting any bubbles to go into cup may need to adjust flow until it starts to bubble over then cut back a bit and monitor

fufi5
10/09/2006, 12:43 PM
Phosphates cause cyano, grow some cheato or any macro algae to remove and compete for nutrients. Would recommed manually removing as much as possible, the algae absorbs nutrients (phosphates) from the water, if you let the cyano die in your tank the nutrients are released back to the water.

If you don't want to use macro algae, another option would be to increase the amount of water changes RO/DI (Ex 1st week 1 50% water change {dilute the phosphate ppm in 1/2}, 2nd week 1 25% water change {dilute phosphates ppm another 1/4}, 3rd week 1 25% water change {dilute phosphates 1/4}). But phosphates can accumulate back to the tank (personally I do a 50% water change monthly and haven't had any cyano outbreaks).

Or another option would be to install Phosphate absorbing media or a reactor.
**IMO avoid using any quick fix "chemical" (sure I'll remove the cyano, but at the cost of reduced oxygen levels and die off algae releasing phosphate & creating an Ammonia spike (not forgetting, shocking the biological filter & you can stress, even loose some of your livestock).
Hope this helps!

650-IS350
10/09/2006, 02:35 PM
does it look like mucus or snot with air bubbles trap in it.. if so.. you might be dealing with dinoflagelletes.

Menkey77
10/09/2006, 03:01 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8306793#post8306793 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by delsol650
does it look like mucus or snot with air bubbles trap in it.. if so.. you might be dealing with dinoflagelletes.

yes this is what i have, ive run phosphate(sp) remover on this for awhile and seems to help. what is dinoflagelletes

pogiboy67
10/09/2006, 11:33 PM
yes i have the mucus looking stuff with bubbles in it and stringy looking algae in parts of my tank

650-IS350
10/10/2006, 12:42 AM
your dealing with with dinoflagelletes.. scourge of reef keeping.. i am currently dealing with this %$&* !!!!!. Luckly my seahare seems to eat this stuff too... but not as much as I want him to eat though...

I have heard of getting more flow.. ( I am already running to seio 1500's ) and scrapping/siphoning them out...