PDA

View Full Version : Light blue spearer at LFS

miztic
10/09/2006, 12:48 PM
Hi,
not sure if anybody cares ;) but just in case, I saw a real pretty light blue spearer mantis at my LFS, "salty critter" in vermillion, OH, i'm having a hard time guessing its size from memory, 5-6" i'd say.. they wanted $35 for it..
It looked to me like it had a similar "keel" on the tail like the one from this thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=924755

- miztic

Dakafall
10/09/2006, 10:32 PM
Paging Dr. Roy, i think this might intersest you quite a bit

Side note- WHY THE HECK DIDN'T YOU BUY HIM MIZTIC!?!?! :p :p :p

Edit: it looks like from the pics that i've seen that the O. cultrifer is a smasher, but you said the one you say was a spearer, now i'm just confused, or just wrong lol

http://www.solvinzankl.de/html/english/galerie/mantis/images/18628%20-%20Odontodactylus%20cultrifer%20(Schmetterer).jpg

miztic
10/10/2006, 07:13 AM
Already got a pm from Dr. Roy :) he gave them a call, its not the right one unfortunately .. I thought I saw the 'keel' on its tail, but if its not the right one... maybe i saw wrong :(

I didn't buy it mainly because my mantis habitat is still cycling, and i'm not entirely sure its right for a spearer, I was sorta set on a smasher, but that blue one was awful pretty.

yankeereefer
10/10/2006, 12:00 PM
what about the one's you saw and posted about in Tinley Park?

miztic
10/10/2006, 12:46 PM
As far as i know they're N. Wennerae, definately on the list of possibilities, they're easy enough to find.. gotta finish cycling my tank first :)
Then i plan to qt a couple cleaner shrimp without fish for my 90 for 4 weeks, after that's done i'll start seriously shopping for a resident for my mantis tank :)

http://openprojects.rarcoa.com/~miztic/office/dsc01271.jpg
I got a little too much rubble, still need to aquascape, and wait for the ammonia etc. to go away :)

Thurge
10/13/2006, 01:36 AM
Dang it, this is what I get for not heading to Salty Critter Monday. Looks like I am headed there in the morning. Figuers Dan would finally get in a spearer just as I am moving...
Whats one more mantis to move.

miztic
10/13/2006, 07:24 AM
Aww sorry you missed it, with any luck we'll get pics from luscien :)

luscien
10/13/2006, 08:44 AM
no doubt! i am so excited! its going in my contest nano for nano-reef.com as soon as i get it pics are going up!
luscien

Thurge
10/13/2006, 01:30 PM
Missed nothing, its still there, and GEORGOUS. At first I didn't notice the 2" high letters saying "MANTIS SOLD", then when I did I cursed seeing this post. I have been trying to get a spearer from them for a while. I was a little too specific, trying to avoid them getting an L. maculata that I don't want and would be hard to house and move. It seems it cost me one of these beautiful Stomatopods. Talking to Shawn, he thinks its a carribean species. With any luck they can get a couple more, cause one has my name on it.

Appearantly EVERYONE has been calling about that mantis.

miztic
10/13/2006, 01:45 PM
HAHAH I don't mind giving them some publicity at all, its an awesome store :)

perhaps i'll try to get my stomatopod through them, so my wife can see it before I take it to chicago with me, or get it at Reef plus in north aurora, he told me he 'gets them all the time' including peacocks..

yankeereefer
10/13/2006, 02:48 PM
No dis' to Steve over there at Reef Plus but I've been going there every couple weeks for 4-5mos and have only seen one, a wenn. The wenn sat there for probably 6 weeks and I finally took it home

Reef Plus is a great store though!

Dave Legacy
10/16/2006, 11:10 PM
Thurge,

Send any maculatas my way! On the real though, I'd be willing to mail you a spearer if I come across one. I'm always on the look out for stomatopods at the LFS, just don't have anywhere to put one right now. Reguardless the ones I find end up sitting in the LFS for a long time since people still see them as being pests, so they need good homes.

I'll start a mantis rescue. =)

pinobutter
10/19/2006, 02:22 PM
dave how is it that your able to find them at a local lfs?? i have found only two in hacienda heights area and i have had to order them each time one in la habra over the hill (its got two mantis right now but i think or am pretty sure they got shell disease kinda bad already) and the other in roland heights every other place looks at me as if i am crazy for even asking about them much less wanting them for a pet

Dave Legacy
10/19/2006, 09:16 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8373800#post8373800 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by pinobutter
dave how is it that your able to find them at a local lfs?? i have found only two in hacienda heights area and i have had to order them each time one in la habra over the hill (its got two mantis right now but i think or am pretty sure they got shell disease kinda bad already) and the other in roland heights every other place looks at me as if i am crazy for even asking about them much less wanting them for a pet

You need to expand your area. If you PM me I'll give you the boring run down of where to go and what there is to find at the moment.