PDA

View Full Version : Do Mandarins or scooter Blennies eat Flatworms?

xxxbadfishxxx
10/09/2006, 12:50 PM
Like the title stats, i got an outbreak of small red flatworms.

AquaReeferMan
10/09/2006, 12:56 PM
I have never heard or seen them do such a thing.

AquaReeferMan
10/09/2006, 12:57 PM
I believe a Six-Line Wrasse eats them though

skeeter-doc
10/09/2006, 01:10 PM
as might canary wrasses, but the lighter colored mandarin eats them usually

try to salifert Flat-worm exit, works great

xxxbadfishxxx
10/09/2006, 01:25 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8306180#post8306180 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by skeeter-doc
as might canary wrasses, but the lighter colored mandarin eats them usually

try to salifert Flat-worm exit, works great

Really, im guessing this should not be their main diet. I might go with a six line, although it would be cool to have a mandarin.

raddogz
10/09/2006, 02:09 PM
Six-lines can get really aggressive down the road with other fish so add with caution.

dc
10/09/2006, 02:38 PM
Well I have see reports of mandarins eating them, but it is a hit and miss sort of thing. If you can get one that will eat prepared foods(frozen or dried) it might be worth a try.

trippyl
10/09/2006, 03:02 PM
Here is my story:

I lost a few Montis to monti eating nudis - some came in on a rescued coral, and try as I might I could not get rid of them. I tried FW dips, iodine, tweezing, nothing would work and in fact I was hurting the corals with all of this activity. I heard that six lines and mandarins eat them. I didn't want an aggressive six line but I had a tank mature enough for a mandarin.

I added the mandarin (pic below) and nothing happened. For like two weeks, nothing. Then, one day, the nudi's disappeared. GONE! haven't seen them since. And now I have this pretty fish!

http://tagmag.iserver.net/pets/fish/10-8-2006/manip/manip_DSCN0694.JPG

trippyl
10/09/2006, 03:03 PM
Incidentally, my mandarin has no interest in prepared foods, but he did seem to do a number on the nudis

daveonbass
10/09/2006, 03:34 PM
i thought we were talking about Flatworms here...not nudis. Though they do look like little nudis. I agree that they are hit or miss...but they are a cute addition to the reef if you can support their diet down the road. Otherwise leave them alone. A six-line would probably do wonders for you, and Mine never was agressive.

xxxbadfishxxx
10/09/2006, 03:44 PM
im pretty sure they are flatworms, especially cuz my zoos are doing really well. The tank is way to small for a mandarin, its a 12 gallon nano, but thought i might let him take care of them, and then moved him to my 2 year established 50 gallon with TONS of Live Rock.

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a241/typesjeff/DSC_0177.jpg

reeferman06
10/09/2006, 04:32 PM
I have tried the spotted maderin and the scooter blenny and coris(canary wrasse) neither worked for me!

trippyl
10/10/2006, 01:41 PM
While nudis and flatworms are two different animals, they are referred to interchangeably in the hobby. Additionally, i have tons of zoos and none of my monti eating nudis ever touched them - so that's no indication of whether they are flatworms or nudhis.

I would agree, that it's hit or miss, just mentioning that for me, it was a hit.

daveonbass
10/10/2006, 02:04 PM
I've always heard of flatworms being called planaria. But never Nudi-branches, that truely is a BIG difference between the two. So I would hate for someone to get the wrong information due to a common name fowl up. They are flatworms. (and gastropods) But not true nudibrances.

dc
10/10/2006, 02:11 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8313477#post8313477 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by daveonbass
I've always heard of flatworms being called planaria. But never Nudi-branches, that truely is a BIG difference between the two. So I would hate for someone to get the wrong information due to a common name fowl up. They are flatworms. (and gastropods) But not true nudibrances.

Some of the really large flatworms look more like nudis than the small red flatworms we're used to seeing.

empireinc00
10/10/2006, 02:18 PM
What you have is definitely Red Flatworm. I suggest you go to this website

http://www.saltwaterfish.com/site_11_03/product_info.php?products_id=313&parent_category=4&category_search=63&root_parent_id=4

http://www.reefermadness.us/RMD_Chelidonura_varians.htm

This is called a blue velvet nudibranch that specialize in eating this kind of flatworm. But once your flatworm is gone they might starve to death because this is the only thing they eat.

Madarin Dragonet eat copepods so forget about it.

trippyl
10/10/2006, 02:20 PM
Dave, note what I had said earlier about them being referred to interchangeably in the hobby. I never called flatworms nudhis, but in case that's what he was referring to, I told my story about how my mandarin ate the nudhis in my tank.