PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone ever done crushed coral over sand?

orionsmamma
10/09/2006, 10:41 PM
A friend of mine has a tank that I am moving tonight. She does not like the look of sand, and while she is going to let me put a fuge under the tank she is insisting on the CC for the substrate in the main tank.

Its going to be a few weeks before I can put the bigger fuge on, and I think a DSB is important. I was thinking of putting a DSB in, and covering it with the CC to give her that look in the main tank. I know the CC will stay on top, but what are the hazards of layering it? Will the DSB still have the same affect?

This will be a 50 Gal FO, she has a couple clowns and does not plan on keeping corals. She is using a penguin bio-filter, and I am putting a small CPR HOB fuge on it with DSB, some cheato and LR rubble. The tank will be like this for a few weeks before a bigger fuge is added.

Thanks everyone! Its been awhile but this forum has always been a huge resource of advice when I needed it :D

650-IS350
10/09/2006, 11:41 PM
detrious and crap will get trapped and fall between the crushed corals = nitrate/problem build up.....

means a NO NO....

I had crushed corals during start of tank... got rid of it right away and used aragonite sand instead.

orionsmamma
10/09/2006, 11:59 PM
I understand the perils of CC. Personally, I do not like it, and I do not use it in my own tank.

The thing is, this is not my tank, and they want the CC in it, because they do not like the look of sand.

Has anyone ever done cc over sand? I was wondering if I could get the benifits of a DSB with the look of coral, or if there were any known problems with doing it that way, besides the normal issues of CC.

TY to anyone that can help!