PDA

View Full Version : Water Changes While Co-Culturing?

tanglovers
10/10/2006, 08:36 PM
Hi All,

I am new to clownfish breeding and have recently taken my first couple attempts with raising clown larvae. It has not been successful yet, well not completely unsuccessful, I have gotten the larvae further along each attempt. Right now they are clarkii larvae, should have ocellaris larvae to try soon.

Anyhow, I have been using the co-culture method, adding enriched rotifers and keeping the larvae tank with greenwater (fresh nanno). With using this method how often and how much (volume) should water changes be? I know wilkerson describes siphoning the tank bottom every night for 20% water change after day 2. With the co culture method do you do the same? How do you miss the larvae since it is hard to see them with the greenwater?

Any advice/suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks,
Scott

jake levi
10/11/2006, 03:55 AM
If you have illumination from above most of the larvae will come to the top, shining a flashlight at one end will do it, siphon from the opposite end off the bottom assuming that you are using a 10 gallon tank.

If you dont siphon you will lose them. To save any larvae check your siphoned water closely. Clowns are very susceptible to poor water quality.

Lots of info here, do a search on clown larvae.

Kathy55g
10/11/2006, 07:53 AM
siphon in the morning before adding phyto when the water is clearest. The water just needs a tint of green with the live phyto. Just enough to make it cloudy.