PDA

View Full Version : safe flatworm eater?

Earl45
10/10/2006, 09:08 PM
http://www.reefermadness.us/RMD_Chelidonura_varians.htm

chelidonura varians, is this effective? and is its diet specifically flatworms? As in, will it starve if no other flatworns are found after eating them?

Also and related - will it eat any corals? If so, what?

Thanks!

TWallace
10/10/2006, 09:39 PM
I'm 99% certain it will only eat flatworms and will starve in the absence of flatworms.

seattlerob
10/10/2006, 09:43 PM
I believe that is right, once their diet of flatworms are exhausted, they will starve. If you're looking for flatworm control, you might consider a wrasse, such as a six-line.

good luck,
rob

RareCorals
10/10/2006, 09:45 PM
A buddy of mine had one of those. It is a flat worm eating machine. Make sure power heads and overflow are screened. As it will most likely go into your overflow or die from the suction force of a powerhead. They are cool to watch. Those nudis will glide of a rock onto another. After it eats all your flatworms you can always sell it to a buddy who has flat worms. Or you LFS might even give you some store credit for it.

kryppy
10/10/2006, 09:51 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8316347#post8316347 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Earl45
http://www.reefermadness.us/RMD_Chelidonura_varians.htm

chelidonura varians, is this effective? and is its diet specifically flatworms? As in, will it starve if no other flatworns are found after eating them?

Also and related - will it eat any corals? If so, what?

Thanks!

They are the coolest. Watching the flatworms run for their life is priceless.
Good luck, it took three to get one to live here...

Earl45
10/11/2006, 08:58 AM
thanks alot folks!

masterqaz
10/14/2006, 04:45 PM
Anyone know of anyother creatures that will eat flat worms? I have a 10 gallon filled with various zoo's and rics, open brain, favia brain, some sort of green hammer morph, and blastos of both types. I'd like an critter over a fish as its just so much easyier for me to mantain that tank with out the fish that and most fish would go blind as the light is a little on the bright side. Any ideas?

cooper9177
10/15/2006, 01:06 PM
I use a mandarin goby they love them.

masterqaz
10/15/2006, 02:12 PM
i was thinking about a target/spotted mandarin though the tanks only 10 gallons. hmmm tough to say cause there is a huge amount of pods and flatworms in the tank. It would be the only fish in there if i did decide to buy one. I guess if it ran out of food i could always put it in my 65.