PDA

View Full Version : Which RO/DI would you buy?

garvondavis14
10/10/2006, 11:30 PM
Looking to get me an RO/DI, was wondering which ones you guys would recommend. I know there have been about a billion posts about this stuff, but I was wanting to get updated info, especially if there have been any p roblems lately or anything...i though I read something about one previously recommended company that was falling off (h2o something?). Plus I obviously can't search. Price isn't really much of a concern.

Thanks a lot guys

doox00
10/10/2006, 11:33 PM
airwaterice.com the typhoon III is an excellent unit, plus comes with free tds meter. customer service is top notch also.

cpatbay
10/11/2006, 12:26 AM
This is what I use ... I stand by it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/WaterGeneral-RO6100-DI-2-OUTPUT-REVERSE-OSMOSIS-RO-DI_W0QQitemZ120039309182QQihZ002QQcategoryZ20756QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem

Pyrrhus
10/11/2006, 12:28 AM
^^^
whatever you do make sure you are getting a 98% rejection membrane, not 94% like the above unit. Also look for vertical DI, the horizontals have channeling issues amongst others.

Spectrapure's new Maxcap unit is hands down the best RO/DI unit currently available. Check it out www.spectrapure.com

AZDesertRat
10/11/2006, 08:24 AM
Spectrapure Nax Cap RO/DI is by far the best and its also on sale right now. www.spectrapure.com .

seattlerob
10/11/2006, 08:39 AM
I have the Optima Automated from purelyh2o.com (which I believe is the company you couldn't quite remember). FWIW, I did have some problems getting the order in a timely manner, but the customer service was fantastic. I understand that they are under new ownership now, and from the threads I have read, the new ownership is doing a very good job with cust svc as well.

If I were in the market now, I would buy the spectrapure unit mentioned above. In hind sight, saving 80 bucks on my RO/DI unit shouldn't have been as important to me as just getting the best RO/DI unit available. But, that's just my opinion.

Good luck with your choice!

rob

garvondavis14
10/11/2006, 03:15 PM
how much is the maxcap rodi usually

Fishbulb2
10/11/2006, 03:38 PM
I have the same one as cpatray and I love it. Just swap out the membrane with a higher rated membrane like http://www.h2ofilter.net/TW30-1812-50.asp and you should be all set. This unit is especially great if you want to have something specifically for drinking water and you tank. The DI portion has a separte spigot. So you faucet will have RO and the reef water will be RO/DI. I've had mine for three years and no problems until I learned the stock desal membrane isn't great. The lower GDP filmtec is a great upgrade though.
FB

Fishbulb2
10/11/2006, 03:39 PM
Sorry that's supposed to be cpatbay

the3kgt2
10/11/2006, 03:43 PM
i just ordered the coralife pure-flo II 4-stage 50gpd. i can only hope it's good.

Waxxiemann
10/11/2006, 04:06 PM
WWW.thefilterguys.biz

These filters are awesome and the customer service is top notch.

AZDesertRat
10/11/2006, 06:49 PM
Those of you who are recommending the Filter Direct units really need to look closer at what you have. A little research will soon show you it is not what you think it is or even close to it..

Fishbulb2
10/11/2006, 08:43 PM
I know I know. And it's been beaten like a dead horse. For me it was equally important to get drinking water from this thing as it was to get water for my tank. Most reef specific units don't have a tank or faucet or they cost $500. That's just kinda nuts. With the new filmtec membrane I get about 97-98% percent rejection from the membrane (measured with TDS) and i measure no TDS (yes I know it's not absolute zero) after the DI. Frankly that's good enough for me. And i love that they I get to drink from the unit. I live in SoCal and I hate drinking our tap water. This is the best solution for both me and my fish. Also my DI cartridges are lasting me about a year, which I don't mind. So over-all, I'm really happy with it. If it was only for my fish, then I think the cost difference with the spectrapure is justified. But for these units:
http://www.spectrapure.com/St_drink_p1.htm

I don't think so. The Water General is a much better deal and with an upgrade from the desal to the lower GPD filmtecs you'll get a pretty good quality unit.

These are just my thoughts for my particular needs and applications.

FB

Mighty Dread
10/11/2006, 08:50 PM
I use the Kent Marine Maxxima Hi-S 35 GPD. I got it from www.MarineDepot.Com - no complaints here. It came with a TDS meter too!

Fishbulb2
10/11/2006, 08:54 PM
Actually, after reading Garvindavis's orginal post, I would surely concede. He states that price is not a concern. Then definitely go with the Spectrapure or equivalent unit.

FB

coogarts
10/18/2006, 07:13 AM
Nice, guess it's been a while for me, but when did the search function start working?

Now, the real question, am I missing something, or is there a reason this 5-stage, 75gpd unit cost so little when in comparison to other units?

http://airwaterice.com/product/1TYPHOON

coogarts
10/18/2006, 07:14 AM
Sorry, DP.

Tigger240
10/18/2006, 07:30 AM
i was going to post how to make one but damn air water ice is pretty nicely priced.

AZDesertRat
10/18/2006, 08:09 AM
Looks like Walter has lowered his price a little. Thats a very good deal. Add a pressure gauge and handheld TDS meter and you are set.

coogarts
10/18/2006, 08:28 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8363802#post8363802 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by AZDesertRat
Looks like Walter has lowered his price a little. Thats a very good deal. Add a pressure gauge and handheld TDS meter and you are set.

So you have a pretty high degree of confidence from this place?

I just wanted to make sure this wasn't one of those deals that weren't as good as they looked.

AZDesertRat
10/18/2006, 11:45 AM
They have been around 25+ years and have a good reputation in the industry.

crumbletop
10/18/2006, 01:17 PM
Wow -- yeah, the Typhoon I does have a nice new price. $30 less than it used to be. Very high quality unit.

otterpop510
10/18/2006, 01:37 PM
following along, is there a reason why the typhoon home/reef unit is not recommended? i'm also thinking about drinking water as well as reef RODI water?.. don't know much about the options and wondering what is important ~ not so important in terms of what the typhoon III has that their home/reef unit does not (ie - clear containers, DI bypass, etc..).. thanks..

crumbletop
10/18/2006, 01:50 PM
I think the home reef has horizontal, small DI which isn't as good or effective as full sized vertical DI. I believe the Typhoon also has more filter stages.

IMO, a Typhoon 1 + a TDS meter is all you need.