PDA

View Full Version : yellow tailed blue damsels

snoopy_seahorse
10/11/2006, 09:12 PM
I have four in a 15 gallon tank. 3 of them are beating up on the other one and I'm afraid they're going to hurt it. I made a little QT with two strawbery baskets inside of eachother but the fish won't stay. It can wiggle out through the sides. The other fish have bitten off almost it's whole tail and some of it's fins.

What should I do? If I take the hurt one out will the bigger two that are still in the tank gang up on a different one?

I'm just worried about my fish. I just got them.

Thanks in advance.

kass03
10/11/2006, 10:04 PM
Yeah damsels are mean and might kill each other.
I think 4 of them is way too many for a 15 gal anyway.

Most people don't even get damsels anymore because they are mean and you can't keep any other fish with them usually.
Most of them also get quite large.
If you plan on keeping the ones you have I wouldnt add any other fish to the tank.
3 fish is about the max for a 15 gal anyway and usually in small tanks you get peacefull fish cuz they don't have alot of territorial room.

I used to have a small yellowtail in my 150 (it came with the tank).
It was the only fish I ever had that would attack my hand when I put it in the tank and Ive kept many damsels in my days.

If it were me I'd take them all back to the LFS unless you like them and just want damsels.
You'll prolly have to take back the injured one or they'll kill it.

kass

snoopy_seahorse
10/11/2006, 11:15 PM
the four fish came w/ the tank. I got it used.

snoopy_seahorse
10/16/2006, 08:10 PM
ok, so I put the injured fish in my mom's qt tank and it seems to be doing much better. That at least makes me sure that it doesn't haveick or something like that. I'm not sure if the others will just start hurting it again though.

Brian5280
10/18/2006, 12:06 PM
I'm sure they will all keep killing each other untill only one is left. You should take 3 of them to a pet store and trade them in for food for the one you have left.

snoopy_seahorse
11/03/2006, 11:38 PM
thanks for all the help. I'm goign to take one to the lfs and see how they do then. The one I'm taking is bigger than the others.

hammerswinger
11/04/2006, 02:52 PM
unless ou have some males and females then they wil pair off

Jamie1210
11/04/2006, 11:51 PM
hammerswinger, how can you determine if a damsel is male or female? would you happen to know?