PDA

View Full Version : Tang Police?

surgeon_fan
10/12/2006, 01:16 AM
I have 13 tangs in my aquarium is that bad?

surgeon_fan
10/12/2006, 01:25 AM
oops, my bad, i mean 14

doggiestlist
10/12/2006, 03:58 AM
not if you have the room for them it isnt bad, as a 600 gal tank im sure they are very happy(well as happy as anything thing can be in a tank).tangs are schooling fish so they like having company. dont worry you have no fears with the tang police ,unless they are living on brine shrimp lol..just out of curiousity what types of tangs do you have i have 5 larger tangs in my 300 plus a foxface(which are related)

BTTRFLYGRL
10/12/2006, 05:52 AM
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a294/KIMHARDIE/feedtrolls.jpg

surgeon_fan
10/12/2006, 08:23 AM
3 yellow, 1 scopas, 1 pacific sailfin, 1 powder blue, 1 ocean surgeon, 2 orange shoulder, 1 lieutenant, 1 pacific blue, 1 yellow eye, and 2 naso. What tangs do y'all have?

clekchau
10/12/2006, 09:13 AM
i'm planning on 4 large angels and 6 tangs in a 600 gallon aquarium, any suggestions?

angels:
emperator
french
queen
annularis

tangs:
yellow
red sea sailfin
purple
blue
sohal
vlamgii

they will all be around 3-5"

surgeon_fan
10/12/2006, 09:40 AM
sohal and vlamingi are two of my favorites! if you can find one the mustard tang (acanthurus guttatus) is a beautiful and not to pricy tang. the red sea sailfins are beautiful, i have a nine inch pacific sailfin and i love him to death but the red sea are more stunning. the pacific blues are great if you can get a healty specimen, they are very shy and i recommend taking them home sooner rather than later from a dealers tank, they are notorious for wasting away, they don't compete well for food in overstocked store conditions.

I like Triggers
10/12/2006, 11:11 AM

I like Triggers
10/12/2006, 11:12 AM
Post some pics. Almost seems like a fake thread with the title and the fact you have 7 posts, only 3 outside this thread...

What deminsions are the tank anyways? I used to see a LFS with a 600g which was 8ft long, 4ft tall, and 30 inches wide.

surgeon_fan
10/12/2006, 11:38 AM
mine is 8 feet long, 4 feet deep, 30" tall. what is LFS? how do i post pics?

surgeon_fan
10/12/2006, 12:11 PM
bad photo, still working on the digital photo thinghttp://http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/135568DSCN1153a.JPG

surgeon_fan
10/12/2006, 12:12 PM
try that again
http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/135568DSCN1153a.JPG

I like Triggers
10/12/2006, 12:15 PM
LFS means local fish store... cool tank, same as the one i saw but laying down. Got any close ups of the tangs?

surgeon_fan
10/12/2006, 12:25 PM
i will get some uploaded after class, gotta run for now, your tank is quite a beauty as well, my father has a 125 built into the wall, we tiled the front with marble tiles set in a diamond pattern, looked very sharp.

Torno
10/12/2006, 01:39 PM
ButterflyGirl brushes the salt off....

BTTRFLYGRL
10/12/2006, 03:51 PM
Looked like a Troll thread to me:D
Anyway, How do we know its his tank? He said he'd upload some pics after class? Awfully large tank for a student:confused: If its really his...good for him, looks fine to me

surgeon_fan
10/12/2006, 04:37 PM
for the skeptics
http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/135568DSCN1172a.JPG
http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/135568DSCN1176a.JPG

clekchau
10/12/2006, 04:38 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8328629#post8328629 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by BTTRFLYGRL
Looked like a Troll thread to me:D
Anyway, How do we know its his tank? He said he'd upload some pics after class? Awfully large tank for a student:confused: If its really his...good for him, looks fine to me

what do you think of my stocking list?

surgeon_fan
10/12/2006, 04:38 PM
why would someone waste the time trying to decieve about, of all things, an aquarium?

surgeon_fan
10/12/2006, 04:40 PM
stocking list?

surgeon_fan
10/12/2006, 04:43 PM
oh yeah, the list above, i wrote about the tangs the zebrasomas might rustle for a few days, size differences helps curb that. as far as the angels i'm not really sure how they will react to one another.

Aquai
10/12/2006, 04:46 PM
Looks like a lovely tank you have there, although in that final picture is that a damsel with white spot?

surgeon_fan
10/12/2006, 04:48 PM
a close up of one of the orange shoulders
http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/135568DSCN1168a.JPG

clekchau
10/12/2006, 04:50 PM
you realy like tangs LOL

i was considering a powder blue but the last thing i need is for it to get ich and pass it to other fish ugh

surgeon_fan
10/12/2006, 04:50 PM
the one in the lower left hand corner is a yellowtail damsel from the caribbean, they have electric blue spots on their head and backs, one of my favorite damsels from my scuba instruction days

surgeon_fan
10/12/2006, 04:51 PM
powder blues can be hard, if you get a good one they will last forever, i've seem very few good ones in the past six years

doggiestlist
10/12/2006, 04:54 PM
In My 300 I have as far as tangs go 12 in dussumieri tang,blue spine Unicorn,dej sailfin,pacific blue hippo,scopus,and a magnificant foxface..other fish are 22 in white spot bamboo shark
vol lion,male and female bird wrasse.queensland dottyback(male).flame hawk.some kind of brown and yellow damsel,green chromis(i left over from lion lol) banjai cardenal.i think thats it ..you know you have too many fish when you can no longer keep track of whats in each tank lol

clekchau
10/12/2006, 04:54 PM
what are you using for lighting? what equipment are you using?

i am starting an aquarium the exact dimensions as you, aquarium and sump should be here in a month or so

surgeon_fan
10/12/2006, 05:02 PM
doggiestlist, i know what you mean, i have to take roll every morning off a list to make sure everyone is still there :) sounds like your fish are quite magnificent, i bet the dussumieri is great, have you grown them all from lil guys?

clekchau, i have four 175W metal halides and (2) 48" VHO actinics, not the most powerful but looks great, i have mushrooms and a leather coral both of which have been doing well for over a year. i have a gen-x RPS-3000 protein skimer (i need two) a 90 gallon sump and i run it all with a single sequence hammerhead, very quiet and low power consumption. i am moving in a month and when the tank is drained i am going to drill holes in the bottom to add a closed loop pvc framework under the substrate and live rock for added circulation, that will also be run by a sequence pump.

BTTRFLYGRL
10/12/2006, 06:00 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8328939#post8328939 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by surgeon_fan
why would someone waste the time trying to decieve about, of all things, an aquarium?

You'd be surprised how many people sign up just to post a thread to annoy people...usually the Tang Police. Most of them write about a Tang being kept in a tiny 20 gallon or something..

Nice tank BTW:)

surgeon_fan
10/12/2006, 06:03 PM
i'd never been here before, i had heard about the tang police starting crap with tang owners, thats why i named the thread as i did. what kind of tank and fishes do you keep?

clekchau
10/12/2006, 06:03 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8329098#post8329098 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by surgeon_fan
doggiestlist, i know what you mean, i have to take roll every morning off a list to make sure everyone is still there :) sounds like your fish are quite magnificent, i bet the dussumieri is great, have you grown them all from lil guys?

clekchau, i have four 175W metal halides and (2) 48" VHO actinics, not the most powerful but looks great, i have mushrooms and a leather coral both of which have been doing well for over a year. i have a gen-x RPS-3000 protein skimer (i need two) a 90 gallon sump and i run it all with a single sequence hammerhead, very quiet and low power consumption. i am moving in a month and when the tank is drained i am going to drill holes in the bottom to add a closed loop pvc framework under the substrate and live rock for added circulation, that will also be run by a sequence pump.

i'm leaning towards t5's as i will have no coral, inverts etc, just fish and live rock. cheaper to run, less heat, bulbs last longer. do you see any reason for me to have mh?

surgeon_fan
10/12/2006, 06:05 PM
not really, the only reason i do is i plan on trying some very hearty soft corals in the near future. i do like the single point light source look as well :)

clekchau
10/12/2006, 06:15 PM
how do you control nitrates?

BTTRFLYGRL
10/12/2006, 06:17 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8329460#post8329460 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by surgeon_fan
i'd never been here before, i had heard about the tang police starting crap with tang owners, thats why i named the thread as i did. what kind of tank and fishes do you keep?

Naw..The Tang Police get a bad rap because they tell someone their tank is too small for a fish [usually a Tang] to live comfortably. Some people get ticked and it usually goes downhill from there

I have a 240 FOWLR with a Raccoon Butterfly, Blueface Angel, Iridis Wrasse, Candy Hogfish, Regal Tang, Whiteface Tang, Argi Angel and 2 Ocellaris Clowns

I am getting ready to upgrade my 75 reef to a 125 and right now I have a Hawaiian Flame Angel, Arc eye Hawkfish, 2 Ocellaris Clowns and a Blue Devil Damsel [that all the fish pick on]..When I get everything moved, I am taking a Yellow Tang from friend...I really love Powder Blues, I thought I might try one in this tank but I am still undecided

surgeon_fan
10/12/2006, 06:33 PM
wow, sounds great, you may have an issue between the whiteface and the powder blue, acanthurus tangs are a pain in the a** especially the powder blue, mine is the meanest fish in the tank, one of the smallest but very brutal, especially to other acanthurids.

surgeon_fan
10/12/2006, 06:39 PM
my nitrates do run a little high, i have ordered a new ro/di unit and i hope the closed loop will help with the nitrate issue

SDguy
10/12/2006, 07:24 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8329477#post8329477 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by surgeon_fan
not really, the only reason i do is i plan on trying some very hearty soft corals in the near future. i do like the single point light source look as well :)

FWIW, things like colt coral are excellent for this. Not demanding of light. Thrive in nutrient rich water. Get pretty big. And have a pretty classic coral "look" to them.

surgeon_fan
10/12/2006, 07:30 PM
sweet, thanks for the advice :)

BTTRFLYGRL
10/13/2006, 05:12 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8329613#post8329613 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by surgeon_fan
wow, sounds great, you may have an issue between the whiteface and the powder blue, acanthurus tangs are a pain in the a** especially the powder blue, mine is the meanest fish in the tank, one of the smallest but very brutal, especially to other acanthurids.

Hope not. The Whiteface was a Brat when I first put him in.. He had been in qt with the Hippo , so he didn't seem to mind him as much as the others. He slapped tails with my Blueface for awhile, but he has calmed down now.. Everyone is getting along real good:)

keefsama2003
10/13/2006, 06:20 AM
you arent kidding about powder blues i have a 4" in my 300 and its chasing a 8" passer angel around like you couldnt believe. i only have a powder blue and a yellow in the tank as far as tangs but im going to add 1 more just not sure.

whats a good sized tang for a 300 that doesnt get overly large but still stunning?

clekchau
10/13/2006, 06:48 AM
blonde naso male with streamers

surgeon_fan
10/13/2006, 07:13 AM
blonde nasos are nice, adult vlamingis are beautiful, my favorite though is a clown tang or a guttatas tang, both very stunning.

clekchau
10/13/2006, 07:30 AM
where do you get your tangs from?

i also like the dussimer but they are few and far in between

surgeon_fan
10/13/2006, 08:15 AM
local fish stores, i live in the phoenix area, we have four or five good stores in the valley. how about you?

keefsama2003
10/13/2006, 08:29 AM
i like naso's and i love vlamingi's but can i hold a full grown vlamingi with the 3 large angels i have in there now is the question?

surgeon_fan
10/13/2006, 09:04 AM
as long as he has plenty of room to swim, i think he would be fine.

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/jan2003/Fish.htm

link gives some good recommendations with regards to a vlamingi, they say at least six feet long, two feet deep, which you should have covered

clekchau
10/13/2006, 10:18 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8332599#post8332599 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by surgeon_fan
local fish stores, i live in the phoenix area, we have four or five good stores in the valley. how about you?

we have some "ok" lfs

vijaym85
10/16/2006, 11:59 PM
Naso,Powder blue, Purple, 3 Yellow and Hippo.
5 angels as well
Imperator, French, Blueface, Majestic, and Annularis

lux_06
10/17/2006, 06:37 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8328988#post8328988 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Aquai
Looks like a lovely tank you have there, although in that final picture is that a damsel with white spot?

sorry had to laugh at the thought of having 14 tangs in a tank and the damsel being the one with whitespot.. lol:p

clekchau
10/17/2006, 07:10 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8356078#post8356078 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by vijaym85
Naso,Powder blue, Purple, 3 Yellow and Hippo.
5 angels as well
Imperator, French, Blueface, Majestic, and Annularis

wow i'm going to do a similar setup, pics and specs of tank?

maro1
10/17/2006, 11:25 AM
How do you guys think adding a Vlamingi to my 300gal with a 7" Naso would go? any aggression problems?

Mar:rollface:

keefsama2003
10/17/2006, 11:26 AM
Im adding a vlamingi to my tank but it will be with a powder blue and a yellow and thats all i plan for tangs

clekchau
10/17/2006, 02:07 PM
i re thought my stocking list, it will now be

yellow
blue
powder blue
blonde naso male
vlamingi

opinions?

thor32766
10/17/2006, 04:22 PM
hey maro you wont have any problems with it. nice bull. I love mine to!

maro1
10/17/2006, 04:27 PM
I am going to add one if I can find one for sale.

Mar:rollface:

vijaym85
10/17/2006, 05:59 PM
I just bought a Sohal and a Clown tang today

My tank is a 150g and yeah its a lot of fish , But most of my fish are small and not even close to their potential size.
Angels
My Imperator, Blueface and Majestic are all small only 4inches or so, My Annularis is only 2 icnhes, and my French is big at 8 Inches

My Tangs
The powder blue, Sohal, Purple, Hippo, and One yellow are all about 4 inches
2 other yellows are only 2.5inches
My clown tang is only 1inch
My naso is big at about 7inches

Its a lot of fish with the potential to become big but are not very big yet. I definately am going to upgrade in the future to a large tank once I feel things are to out of hand. I have no real issues as yet. I firmly believe that if you put several species together that the agression is blanced out and it is way better than a one on one situation between fish of the same species, like a single naso with a sohal. Also I have many caves and tunnels in my tank. Keepin the fish well feed is also key.
I even have corals despite this many fish.

In terms of filtration for this many fish.
I have a skimmer rated 5x my tank size
I have ozone
I have UV
50Gallon sump and fuge
200lbs live rock
Mechanical filter Tubular
sand filter TUbular
Chemical filter Tubular
I definately go hard on the filtration with that many fish, plus lots of water chnages from my RO DI

Diet
I keep lots of foods on hand so I can tempt my fish with differet stuff
M fish really enjoy
Hikari Marine A
Sectrum pellets
and Ocaen Nutrition Green seaweed.

clekchau
10/17/2006, 06:44 PM
what kind of skimmer, ozone and uv are you running? i have heard mixed things about uv but most say it's a waste of money :confused:

vijaym85
10/17/2006, 06:59 PM
I have an MTC beckett skimmer about 4ft tall, From Marine technical concepts model HSA-1000
My Ozone is a red sea unit 50mg/hr with built in cntroller, It is very helpful IMO, I have had no fsh loss since using it, i find it to be worthwhile, It keeps the water clean also
I also have an AQUA UV sterilzer. It is te best company for UV IMO
I also have a coralife uv that I have not been usig but would like to add on soon
i think ozone is awesome, and I feel it helps, so I will never go without using one again. I heard good things about sanders unit also.
I bought my unit mostly becasue it had a built in controller to keep from overdosing. Uv is something i keep to just keep me safe over sorry I have not had infections with it running so I will keep on using it. I have had a fish get a little sick but they would never pass on the illness to other, nor would they die. So i feel both these are worthwhile investments.
When you consider how much money you will spend on lievstock it is worthwhile that you buy quality equipment to keep from having them die.

doggiestlist
10/17/2006, 08:40 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8329461#post8329461 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by clekchau
i'm leaning towards t5's as i will have no coral, inverts etc, just fish and live rock. cheaper to run, less heat, bulbs last longer. do you see any reason for me to have mh? wow i realy should log on more often lol..as for t5s you can accually get away with standard flo lighting for FO or FOWLR you will still get plenty of coraline growth ect even inverts such as crabs stars snails ect will do just fine..if you plan on keeping any corals then i do reccomend halides for such a deep tank..i do need to add more pics to my photo gallery (i hate resizing lol).at this time i have 9 110 w VHO running on my 300 but when i had it full of corals(which i moved to another tank) i had 3 400 w mh 4 6 ft 110 w VHO 2 daylight 2 actinics.... as for anyone adding new tangs to an already established tang tank there will always be some aggression towards the newcommers i just toss in a few pellets each time i see any signs of aggression and they stop chasing each other (tangs wont fight while they eating ) once they astablish no food shortage they do end up getting along

clekchau
10/17/2006, 10:19 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8361003#post8361003 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by vijaym85
I have an MTC beckett skimmer about 4ft tall, From Marine technical concepts model HSA-1000
My Ozone is a red sea unit 50mg/hr with built in cntroller, It is very helpful IMO, I have had no fsh loss since using it, i find it to be worthwhile, It keeps the water clean also
I also have an AQUA UV sterilzer. It is te best company for UV IMO
I also have a coralife uv that I have not been usig but would like to add on soon
i think ozone is awesome, and I feel it helps, so I will never go without using one again. I heard good things about sanders unit also.
I bought my unit mostly becasue it had a built in controller to keep from overdosing. Uv is something i keep to just keep me safe over sorry I have not had infections with it running so I will keep on using it. I have had a fish get a little sick but they would never pass on the illness to other, nor would they die. So i feel both these are worthwhile investments.
When you consider how much money you will spend on lievstock it is worthwhile that you buy quality equipment to keep from having them die.

yes i agree, i just didn't realize how expensive a uv would be, does it heat the water at all?