PDA

View Full Version : My moving nightmare!!!

Murdock5150
10/12/2006, 06:29 PM
This is the story of how I managed to take my most prized possesion that I had spent over 5 years learning about, and taking care of, and kill it all in just four days.
I have recently had to move my 72gl reef tank due to a military change of station. I was in Montana, and now I'm back home in California. I thought I had everything covered. Not so much. I disassembled the tank the morning before we left Montana. Live rock, sand and water went into buckets. My mistake came with the livestock. I purchased a very large rubbermade container. Put in water, a pump for circulation, a heater, and a digital thermometer. I figured the livestock could ride with me in my suburban since I have the electrical outlets in the back to supply power. It was a 2 day trip, or at least it was supposed to be. Looking back I think my mistake was putting ALL the livestock together. Fish, inverts, corals...everything. I thought that since the container was so large (approx 40 gal or so) that everything would survive.
I lost EVERYTHING!! The frst casualties were the fish, I think. By the time we hit Vegas the smell was unimaginable. The wife was not happy, but I just couldn't bring myself to toss out hundreds of dollars worth of coral, dead or not. I was clinging to the hoope of just a piece of something, anything, would somehow make it. Nope.
So we get to our new base and things get worse. They don't have a house for us for 1 month! I asked around but no one could help. My only option was to put the buckets of rock and sand into storage along with all my household goods. 1 month later, we get a house. Yeah!!...kinda. I started the gruling task of re-setting up my system.
So the tank is in the house. The filtration is in the garage. I mixed up new salt water with my RO/DI unit (all weekend!). Now comes the task of opening the buckets. OMG! The smell!! I can't desribe the smell. Let's just say I shouldn't have eaten that morning. The buckets of rock were the worst. Black, sulfery smelling...just bleah. The sand was better. Stunk at the bottom pretty bad, but nothing like the rock. Again, wife not happy.
That was 3 weeks ago. The tank has since cleared up. The rock was bare, then brown with algae...very brown. Now the rock is just covered here and there with the usual long green hairy stuff. Obviously I am far from putting in any livestock. My PH was high at first, but now is barley staying at 7.8 to 7.9. Calcium is coming up, but I'm not concerned with that now since there is no livestock. All other tests are still very high (nitrates, nitrites) but that doesn't suprise me. It looks like a rocky, underwater desert. Very depressing.
In all this death and destruction, there was one small ray of hope. My refugium survived. It was a 20gl long tank full of live sand, small pieces of rock, chaeto, pods, worms, the works. It all survived and is still the only place I am seeing any life. In time, I hope it will re-seed, so to speak, the main tank and the rest of the system. A lesson learned...a painful one.

I have pictures of the system if someone wants to see them and can tell me how to post them on here. Also, please post any questions you have about my current set up. I would be happy to post all the specs of my set up.

Sorry about the long post, but my wife is sick of hearing about it. After all, the only thing she wanted from the start was a "nemo fishy". :)

Murdock5150
10/12/2006, 07:06 PM
Here are a few pics:

The tank about a year or so ago

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k226/murdock5150/P2070267.jpg

The tank 3 weeks ago

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k226/murdock5150/ReefSystem007.jpg

The tank today

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k226/murdock5150/PA120211.jpg

stereomandan
10/12/2006, 07:12 PM
Sorry to hear about that, but I want to say thanks for what you do for me and the USA! This is just another sacrifice you've given.

The hair algae will go away, but it takes a while. I had some bad LR about 6 years ago that had tons of HA on it. What helped was doing a water change, which is routine maintinence anyway. Use the bucket of water that you pulled out of the tank and scrub your rock in it with a toothbrush or other stiff bristle brush (as long as it's not metal)

This helped the HA go away quicker. It came back probably two times after scrubbing it each time, but I think by the third time, it came back slightly then died off completely. Been great ever since.

Wow, you had a beautiful tank BTW. :(

Dan

Murdock5150
10/12/2006, 07:20 PM
Thank you for your support.

The hair algae really isn't that bad. I really only have 2 concerns at this point.

1. Will my rock ever be "live" rock again

2. When will the smell go away?!

Here ares ome pics of my filtration

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k226/murdock5150/ReefSystem012.jpg

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k226/murdock5150/ReefSystem009.jpg

Murdock5150
10/12/2006, 07:22 PM
sorry about the blurry one :( I have also added a kalkreactor inline with the auto-top off system

stereomandan
10/12/2006, 07:25 PM
Sweet setup! You've done a lot since you've been at the new house!

Yes, the dead rock will be live again. That I can tell you for sure. Yeah, I thought the HA would be worse until I saw your pic. It's not too bad right now.

Dan

jsdratm
10/12/2006, 07:25 PM
Sorry to hear about your losses! :( Moving across the country with an aquarium sounds like a lot of work so I hope I never have to do it. I think it might be worth the cost to either sell your stuff and rebuy it, or give it to a fellow reefer and have it shipped overnight once your tank is set up again.

Murdock5150
10/12/2006, 07:32 PM
Anything would have been better than it all dying off. It wasn't the money spent as much as it was loosing all the hard worjk put into it that really sucked.

Here is a better pic of the filtration
http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k226/murdock5150/ReefSystem018.jpg

Murdock5150
10/12/2006, 08:08 PM
Should I even have my calcium reactor running at this point? If so what should I set my bubble/drip rate at respectively? Also, will running carbon get rid of the awful sulfer smell in the water?

ryankamp
10/12/2006, 08:26 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8330212#post8330212 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Murdock5150
Should I even have my calcium reactor running at this point? If so what should I set my bubble/drip rate at respectively? Also, will running carbon get rid of the awful sulfer smell in the water?

Carbon should help neutralize the odors. Zeolite may also be an option, but I haven't tried that.

dermer
10/12/2006, 08:33 PM
i would say yes on the carbon and turn the cal off for now all your doing is wasting it with all the water changes that you are probably doing at this stage and once the tank is stable again it dont take long for the cal to go up and be maintained

Murdock5150
10/12/2006, 08:51 PM
What about livestock? I know what I would be doing with a normal cycling tank but this id different. The rocks and sand smelled so bad they had to be toxic right? Obviously corals are way, way off. But to get the system balanced back out, I need the sand bed critters, clean up crew and some kinda fish to eat and crap and what not. I was thinking of adding a bag of live sand and a little chunk of food now and then to feed the bacteria and pods (if any). Maybe even buying a few more pieces of live rock and distributing them throughout the main tank.

vanmo92
10/12/2006, 09:40 PM
Sorry to hear that man.

Randall_James
10/12/2006, 09:51 PM
If your refuge survived with pod etc, I would just take and co-mingle rock from display down in the refuge for a week or 2 at a time and then move it back up to display swapping another piece down to the refuge. This should let the pods and little guys populate the rock a bit and then migrate them to display where they can start to flourish a bit. I would wait some time before adding fish (eat all your hard work at getting pods going again). Swapping sand back and forth probably would not hurt either...

Sorry for your losses for sure, I also did a "mixed" container of livestock once and lost a couple prized fish in only hours.

I guess if a lesson is to be had, never pack fish in a community water supply. Large bags with at least 50% air (oxygen) is pretty important I guess of anything over a few hours.

Judging from your setup, I doubt it will be long before your tank reflects its former glory :)

Murdock5150
10/12/2006, 11:24 PM
Good idea. I also thought about taking one or two of the huge balls of chaeto from the fuge and putting them into the main tank for a while. Those things are full of pods and other stuff.

joeycadre
10/12/2006, 11:44 PM
run test on the water. it should be just like starting up with uncured live rock. just watch your cycle close and wait.

sucks though, either way.

i dread having to move my tank in the next six months. uggh.

Randall_James
10/13/2006, 07:02 AM
Moving the chaeto around would probably be a good idea as well. I guess the main idea is to let all the small stuff get reestablished as well as possible before adding any of the predators (corals, fish, pod eaters :) )

Murdock5150
10/13/2006, 07:21 AM
When I had first set everything back up my Ph was around 8.2 or so. Now it doesn't seem to want to go up past 7.8. Is that just the nature of my tank cycling again, or should I add a buffer? The first time I did this several years ago, I didn't have a Ph monitor so I didn't get to see the fluctuation.

Randall_James
10/13/2006, 07:50 AM
As long as you have good surface agitation for gas exchange, I would not get to excited about it yet. I would check it just before the lights go out and see what it is compared to the AM reading. New tank is going to be all over the place for awhile anyway. No point pulling your hair out trying to control it yet

coralnut99
10/13/2006, 07:52 AM
Because of "where your rock has been", testing often for the basics, even ammonia, is critical. I would be extra-patient with the cycle on this one. The fuge will help to a great degree, and I agree that carbon will help get rid of the smell. I would change it every other week until the smell recedes. Putting it in a reactor will make it more effective. A healthy system should have no detectable odors. I have 600 gallons of sw in my fishroom, and ther are no detectable odors.

Randall_James
10/13/2006, 08:29 AM
If you load carbon into a reactor, make double sure that it is stable and does not "percolate" If the carbon material is allowed to move around it will flake and powder... Bad news....

After the initial ammonia spike (about day 7 or so) constant testing is sort of a waste IMO if you have already seen the levels drop. (bacteria are growing)

I would get an indicator badge if you are worried about the levels. Ammonia is pretty predictable provided you do not have some secondary die off (ammonia skyrockets unchecked in the first week or so)

At 3 or 4 weeks, things should be pretty stable on that front. The fact that your refuge/sump is healthy is a great sign :) I would not expect any radical changes in chemistry at this stage all the same.

Murdock5150
10/13/2006, 10:27 AM
The ammonia spike is lasting longer than I thought it would. It must be from all the extra die off I had on my live rock from polyps and mushrooms and other stuff. I only test it once a week or so since I dont have any fish in there yet.

Randall_James
10/13/2006, 11:32 AM
You should be testing levels until they begin to drop.

If they are over .20 I would get on some water changes to get them to at least .15 or lower. The .20 can just make the cycle worse than it needs to be.

Murdock5150
10/14/2006, 02:24 PM
I tested the water this morning and things are looking much better.

Ammonia: 0
Nitrate: 0
Nitrite: about .10

Ph is still at 7.8

stereomandan
10/14/2006, 02:55 PM
Adding buffer will just keep it at 7.8. The buffer is there to hold the Ph where it is.

I would do some big water changes with fresh mixed salt water, if the fresh mix is 8.2-8.4 or so, which it should be.

Dan

picklepot
10/14/2006, 03:13 PM
Do you plan to move all this again in 3 years...or are you there to stay?

MyCatsDrool
10/14/2006, 04:01 PM
IMHO newbie opinion: beware****************

Find a local reef club. they will be more than happy to help you get started again.

Murdock5150
10/14/2006, 04:14 PM
We should be here to stay. If we do move again, it would only be a few miles. I've moved the whole sytem before about 30 miles and it was no problem.

picklepot
10/14/2006, 04:19 PM
Cool :-)