PDA

View Full Version : SCRIBBLED RABBITFISH sps safe?

volivier
10/12/2006, 06:47 PM
is the scribbled rabbitfish safe for a acropora and clam reef community?

" Rabbitfish do best with frequent feedings. Main foods provided should include vegetable matter such as Spirulina and other herbivore preparations such as Formula Two Frozen or Formula Two Pellet. Rabbitfish are typically considered reef-safe as they will ignore invertebrates. If not fed multiple times daily, they may choose to graze on some corals, including Soft Corals and Large Polyped Stony Corals. The spines of the Rabbitfish are venomous. So the Rabbitfish should always be handled with great care. Though a peaceful species, Rabbitfish are often kept quite compatibly with more aggressive species who do not bother it due to the stinging spines." per http://www.petsolutions.com/Scribbled+Rabbitfish-I-134950L-I-C-40001678-C-.aspx

Sk8r
10/12/2006, 07:03 PM
Mine proved unsafe for frogspawn and green-colored things, notably lps. The only coral he ever damaged was the frog. I got rid of him, however, because his appetite for green got greater and greater, at first just when caulerpa ran out, and then just because he'd picked on it before. I replaced him with a 'hairy colored pincushion urchin,' which is a lot easier to catch and generally better mannered.

LobsterOfJustice
10/12/2006, 07:39 PM
Wow, I didnt know it was a question with them. Good thing mine is absolutly 100% reef safe.

SVXH6
10/12/2006, 07:50 PM
mine was fine along with my orange spot rabbit.. the only thing they bothered was zoos..

volivier
10/12/2006, 09:17 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8330104#post8330104 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by SVXH6
mine was fine along with my orange spot rabbit.. the only thing they bothered was zoos..
I have zoa's too, maybe I'd better pass on this fish....don't want to lose my acropora or zoa's

WayneL333
10/12/2006, 09:58 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8330104#post8330104 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by SVXH6

I have the same two rabbitfish and they are model citizens keeping my bubble algae down to a minimum.

gflat65
10/13/2006, 06:11 AM
I had a rabbid scribbled that ate the razor caulerpa like it was supoposed to. Then it moved on to my zoas and annihilated 8 colonies in two days. I removed all the zoas. Then it moved on to my Acan lords, then echinatas. I suspect it in the death of a neon green poccilopora, but have no direct proof. I saw it picking on the coral as the tissue was coming off (half of it seemed to RTN in about 4 hours, thne rest was fine once I pulled it from the tank). I have known more people that have had great luck with them than have not, but my experience was not a good one.

prodman
10/13/2006, 07:26 AM
Sps safe and reef safe are not always the same. I have good luck with mine but I only have sps.

1package
10/13/2006, 08:21 AM
I have a mixed reef and have never had problems with mine. He is in a 210g and I brought him in for the caulerpa, which I think he cleaned up. Perhaps he will become a problem, so far so good 6 months.

I do know that the tangs would not touch the caulerpa so if you need one for that I give them a big thumbs up.

ade
10/15/2006, 02:44 PM
Mine is in a 180 mixed reef and he loves Zoas, but my sailfin does also. Great fish.

LFS_worker
10/15/2006, 05:48 PM
never a problem with scribbled at all and he is over 8"...

The orange spotted's are a serious problem infact WayneL3333 is the only person Ive ever heard of have a OSR that didnt eat zoanthids.

B