PDA

View Full Version : Deep sand bed getting destroyed by Tunzes.

CyanoMagnet
10/12/2006, 08:53 PM
Hi.

I recently purchased 2 tunze 1600 gph stream pumps for my
72 gallon bowfront reef tank.

I have a deep sand bed and its being blown around, with dunes being created on both sides of the tank.

I was wondering if it would be ok to get some larger than sand grain heavy substrate, like crushed coral and put it over the DSB to keep it level. Im sure this would work to keep the sand in place, but is there any draw backs?

drives300
10/12/2006, 09:13 PM
following along i have same problem on myu 90

CyanoMagnet
10/12/2006, 09:18 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8330682#post8330682 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by drives300
following along i have same problem on myu 90

I realy think getting crushed croal and spreading out a thin layer over the DSB will help this problem..

Even tunzes arent gonna blow crushed coral around... well unless you have them pointed straight at the bottom..

My big concern is inverts, and other fellas who dig into the sand , sleep in the sand, live in the sand etc... And also Im slightly concerned that the denitrification process may be hampered in any way.

Anyway.. Im going to do this unless someone can tell me its bad.

old salty
10/12/2006, 09:59 PM
While I didn't have a DSB, I had the same issue with a shallow one. I put some larger media on top, but this created it's own problems. It caught fish crud and such and quickly became rather unsightly. I am now in the long process of removing all of the sand from the tank.

HippieSmell
10/12/2006, 10:15 PM
You might consider letting it create the dunes. As long as it isn't burying your liverock it's probably the best situation. Situate the tunze where it creates dunes where you want them.

durango_doug
10/12/2006, 10:55 PM
I also just let the dunes form.

Craig Lambert
10/12/2006, 11:45 PM
Adjust their direction. Bounce the flow off the glass (front for one and rear for the other). Tip them slightly upward. Another option would be to dial them back if you can.

nautilus808
10/13/2006, 01:24 AM
Dont use crushed coral. It will trap detritus. I have the same san bed problem from my maxi mod. Im thinking about taking the sandbed out. I let dunes form but there is always some sand being stirred up, landing on corals. its very frustrating. I like the look of sand but also need flow..........Not sure what to do

Trigeek
10/13/2006, 04:59 AM
I've been dealing with this in my 90g also. After a lot of fiddling with position, direction etc., I thing I've found something that works. I ordered the magnet bracket to attach the Tunze to (so much better than that thing that comes with the powerhead). I turned the Tnze toward its side a bit and angled it so it blows upward toward the surface of the water. I also have a couple of maxijets I blow into (across/perpendicular to) the Tunze flow. You can still see movement across the sandbed, however no displacement. I would angle your two Tunzes toward the surface and into each other, this will create a lot of flow and in multiple directions as the flow from each powerhead will bounce off of each other.

CyanoMagnet
10/13/2006, 09:07 AM
Hmm..

Thanks for the responses.

The detrius build up on larger grained substrate scared me off of using it..

I think positioning is key.

I just point the 2 directly over each other, over the rock formations in the tank... Doesnt seem to disturb the tank.

BTW.. The water flow Im getting now is truly random..

These pumps are excellent.

I also (as advised on the boards) attached a sea swirl on my outlet.. Not even sure if I need it now tho..

chin_lee
10/13/2006, 09:35 AM
if you want to try BB, i guess its your lucky day :)

but i had the same problem however I also had put eggcrate (to be under the rocks) before I put the sand in and when the tunzes came on, eggcrate showing everywhere. so i've had eggcrate barebottom for the past couple years. fortunately i'm setting up new system so it will be clear up soon.

STEELERFAN747
10/13/2006, 03:05 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8332906#post8332906 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by CyanoMagnet
Hmm..

Thanks for the responses.

The detrius build up on larger grained substrate scared me off of using it..

I think positioning is key.

I just point the 2 directly over each other, over the rock formations in the tank... Doesnt seem to disturb the tank.

BTW.. The water flow Im getting now is truly random..

These pumps are excellent.

I also (as advised on the boards) attached a sea swirl on my outlet.. Not even sure if I need it now tho..

Just wonderong where exactly you placed them, I recently purchased 2 6060's and will be setting up a dsb and I am looking to avoid any problems.

Malifluous
01/30/2007, 11:26 PM
i agree

corals b 4 bills
01/30/2007, 11:47 PM
This is the same think that happened to me when I first got them 4 months ago, I had them both (6100's) on the controllers lowest setting but my sand was constantly airborne then after awhile I noticed that I could gradually raise the power more, & more each week, I don't know why this is but now the power on both is full blast and I'm feeling that it's not enough, I am considering getting another 6100 to pump up the flow (I'm not kidding) be patient, maybe the sand becomes compacted. You've spent alot of money on a great product wait it out, put it on the lowest setting and start raising it as time goes on, you'll see.

corals b 4 bills
01/30/2007, 11:52 PM
Oh yea, you might want to line corals along the sand (it's kind of like what the do for hills to stop mud slides) keeps the sand from eroding.

DMK
01/30/2007, 11:57 PM
i let the dunes form..i like them too.

xtm
01/31/2007, 12:24 AM
I let them fire on each other on my 75 Gal. Creates random flow all over the tank.. but actually the sandstorm will eventually settle in a week or so

Waxxiemann
01/31/2007, 12:41 AM
I like the dunes as well. I let them do pretty much what they want. The placement of your rockwork has a huge effect on weather or not you're going to get lots of duning. At least in my experience.

cristhiam
01/31/2007, 06:05 AM
I'll leave it alone and let dunes form, I have two different grain sizes of substrate and didn't stop that much I had more flow in one side of the tank and pretty much all the sand shifted from one side to the other :) Now I have more ballanced with the 2 koralias and getting even sand.

onano
01/31/2007, 06:25 AM
I had the dunes going. I just kept adjusting the powerheads until I found the ideal spot. Now no dunes and lots of flow.