PDA

View Full Version : Couple ?'s/observations about tomini tang

SDguy
10/12/2006, 09:01 PM
OK, so hopefully I'm not jinxing things by writing this, but it looks like my tomini tang is finally settling into his new home. I bought him Sept. 24. Until just a few days ago, he wasn't grazing off any of the rock, only the floor and sides of the tank. He was pretty much dependent on food from me. And then he would only take pre-soaked flake food. I assume this is due to his small size (barely 2" - frankly the smallest tomini I have ever seen).

He still looks a bit thin behind the head (I know, I shouldn't have bought him that way) but he has a marble for a belly, and is grazing thoroughly on all rocks and algae covered overflow, etc. His color has darkened considerably, making his overall look quite striking.

My questions:

Will he lose the subtle orange spots that cover his face as he ages/grows? Similarly, will he keep the bright white tail?

For anyone who has had trouble feeding a bristletooth tang, what else can I use? He won't do mysis (hates the shell and antenna - and I'm not peeling those tiny things for him :D ) He won't do finely chopped frozen Formula 1 either (too rubbery I think with that gel binder) So then what...I'm thinking cyclopeeze (the powder form, not flake - had the flake before, it's really hard). Or are there other good quality, high protein SINKING flake food that I should look into?

One last thing...anyone else have a potty trained tang? It's the funniest thing I've seen. He cruises the whole tank, munching off every surface. But as soon as he needs to poop, he heads to the front left corner, does his business, then returns to his cruising. He did this half a dozen times in a row...can't be coincidence...

Thanks for any input.

jda
10/13/2006, 10:01 AM
I have had a tomini and a chocolate. Mine needed time to get used to captivity. Anymore, they pick on the rocks very little and will eat anything that I put in the tank. Once it will eat meat, you should be able to fatten it up quickly.

I have never noticed the potty training thing, but it seems cool.

raddogz
10/13/2006, 01:57 PM
Do they eat red scrubby turf algae (not hair algae)?

Below is a thread on the very topic of potty trained fish

Yep, kid you not!

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=901155&highlight=tomini+tang

SDguy
10/13/2006, 02:09 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8334796#post8334796 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by raddogz
Do they eat red scrubby turf algae (not hair algae)?

I don't think so...their mouths are designed for detritus/microalgae (film) and the like. They really can't bite off pieces of stuff too well, at least not when they are small, IME. Mine even has trouble with large pieces of flake food :rolleyes:

DrBegalke
10/13/2006, 11:58 PM
I have a tomini that is about 4-5". At least at this size, they still have the orange dots around the face and the white tail.

Mine does not pick at the rock much, nor at algae/nori clipped to the side of the tank (my neon goby and yellow head goby love it, so I keep clipping some there)...

My tomini's favorite foods are New Life Spectrum Thera-A (great food!) and O.N. Formula Two flakes, also eats mysis.

I have noticed that its best to feed only one food at a time. If I give NLS pellets then some Formula Two or vice versa, the later food introduced is more or less ignored....

http://www.marinedepot.com/md_viewItem.asp?idproduct=NL1313

SDguy
10/14/2006, 08:19 AM
Excellent info, thank you very much. I think mine will eat mysis when it gets bigger...it really tries to eat it now, but the shapes/textures of the whole shrimps just rub it the wrong way.

Quick question, are the ON flake foods sinking or floating once soaked in water?

Those 1mm New Life Spectrum pellets ought to be small enough...I'll give them a try as well.

Mine is actually rasping the live rock a lot now, so hopefully that's a good sign.

raddogz
10/14/2006, 10:20 AM
You have to soak a bit before it starts to sink.

My tomini's are just starting to come out a bit more now, and pecking at the rock.

Monti
10/14/2006, 10:46 AM
Yep, tominis will keep their spots and white tail all the way into adulthood. I've had luck with the NLS pellets with them too.

SDguy
10/15/2006, 09:53 AM
OK, well my LFS sucks for dry goods, and has none of the foods mentioned. Marinedepot here I come...

Thanks monti, good to know. They are actually a lot prettier than photos you see online. Guess it's tough to get a good shot of such a timid fish :)

SDguy
05/27/2017, 12:11 PM
Almost 11 years ago I got my first tomini tang. After a tank crash a bit ago, I've been pretty much fishless other than my clowns in the reef. Today I bought a tomini from the same LFS as the first. Let's hope for at least another 10+ years.