PDA

View Full Version : Best Kelvin For Color & Growth? Has this subject been beaten up?

cham
10/13/2006, 06:27 PM
I bet this subject has seen a fair number of days in here but I cant search and its not in the FAQ's so here I am.:)

My first priority is amazing coloration (I know theres much more to it than lighting but what role lighting does play).

Second would be growth but I really dont need to propogate. It would be nice if they grew like crazy but I want them to look good above and beyond anything.

Already have T5's running over my tank (sig info correct) but I would like to add twin 175 icecap MH (might get a good deal on two) and run the MH for about 4 to 5 hours a day.

My URI super actinic VHO's do a great job with the blue and the T5's give me some nice light and PAR.

What would you do?

cham
10/13/2006, 07:55 PM
bump

Shawnts106
10/13/2006, 08:01 PM
best kelvin for growth and color is a 14/15K bulb... halide if thats what your wondering about?

If your wanting to know best for T5's a combo of the 10K's and the ACTINIC + bulbs that peak at 460nm's are about the same as 14K

good luck!

cham
10/13/2006, 08:03 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8336850#post8336850 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Shawnts106
best kelvin for growth and color is a 14/15K bulb... halide if thats what your wondering about?

If your wanting to know best for T5's a combo of the 10K's and the ACTINIC + bulbs that peak at 460nm's are about the same as 14K

good luck!

Yeah, adding twin 175 MH. My T5's are already 11k.

Snausages01
10/13/2006, 11:30 PM
I'm quite happy with my 400 watt 6,500K Iwasakis and a pair of 110 watt VHO actinics. However, keep in mind there is a lot more to growth and color than lighting.

Here are some pictures:

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y70/Snausages01/Tort-7-29-06.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y70/Snausages01/Rosaria-7-29-06.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y70/Snausages01/Gomenzi-7-29-06.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y70/Snausages01/SM-6-19-06.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y70/Snausages01/Tenius-6-29-06.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y70/Snausages01/Light-Blue-Mille-9-5-06.jpg

cham
10/14/2006, 04:49 AM
Wow, amazing color Snausages01. Your frags are looking really good.

So we have one vote for 15k and one for 6,500k.

Anyone else?

paulhines
10/14/2006, 05:54 AM
I've got 2 x 250w DE Phoenix 14K HQIs and 4 x 54w T5 (10K and actinic). All one Icecap. This is over a 150g high tank.

No pictures like this yet, but I sure hope I'm on my way.

cham
10/14/2006, 05:57 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8338515#post8338515 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by paulhines
I've got 2 x 250w DE Phoenix 14K HQIs and 4 x 54w T5 (10K and actinic). All one Icecap. This is over a 150g high tank.

No pictures like this yet, but I sure hope I'm on my way.

Wow, we will have somewhat similar lighting set ups.

Are you another vote for the 14k for color?

By the way, I want to clarify. I dont want MH bulbs that show off the color. I want MH bulbs that help encourage brilliant colors.

trueblackpercula
10/14/2006, 06:25 AM
I have 250 watt se 13k megachrome bulb and 150 VHO super actinics. I get great looking colors but growth is not as fast as I would like. the 13k bulb is a great bulb and was worth it. But I will be changing it out in 3 more months and will be trying something different like ushio 6500k for faster growth. then I will go back to 13k bulb or even 14k or 20k for color.
The way it has been explained to me is that .......................
6,500k faster growth
20,000k better colors slower growth
as long as everything else is in order.
Michael

parothead22
10/14/2006, 06:30 AM
Yes, lighting is only part of the puzzle to coloration, growth and long term success of your corals!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Other things that need to be factored into the equasion are strontium and calcium levels.
Nitrate level
iron level
iodine level-iodine in addition to acting as an astringent/antioxident, it also is critical in the development of pigments in corals thus giving them their coloration(yellow-brown color of zooxanthellae and red-green colors of accessory pigments).
pH and alkalinity are also very important
even oxygen levels in your water are crucial to success of corals etc. Oxygen level should be around 7mg/l and should be as close to saturation level or alittle higher and maintained there. High levels of oxygen can be produced by corals due to supersaturation of tissue(too much oxygen/carbon dioxide transfer)zooxanthellae is producing too much oxygen causing bleaching in corals and Tridacna's(if left untreated, will result in the demise of your coral or clam)!!!
Basically that is it in a nutshell...more to success and growth and coloration than watt per gallon or bulbs spectrum color!!!!

cham
10/14/2006, 06:35 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8338607#post8338607 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by parothead22
Yes, lighting is only part of the puzzle to coloration, growth and long term success of your corals!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Other things that need to be factored into the equasion are strontium and calcium levels.
Nitrate level
iron level
iodine level-iodine in addition to acting as an astringent/antioxident, it also is critical in the development of pigments in corals thus giving them their coloration(yellow-brown color of zooxanthellae and red-green colors of accessory pigments).
pH and alkalinity are also very important
even oxygen levels in your water are crucial to success of corals etc. Oxygen level should be around 7mg/l and should be as close to saturation level or alittle higher and maintained there. High levels of oxygen can be produced by corals due to supersaturation of tissue(too much oxygen/carbon dioxide transfer)zooxanthellae is producing too much oxygen causing bleaching in corals and Tridacna's(if left untreated, will result in the demise of your coral or clam)!!!
Basically that is it in a nutshell...more to success and growth and coloration than watt per gallon or bulbs spectrum color!!!!

Thanks for the info, I wasnt aware of all those items but I do know theres alot more to it than lighting. Right now I am buying lighting and bulbs so I want to make sure I get a kelvin that helps encourage good color.

So far it looks like a higher Kelvin is winning with reguards to good coloration and lower K for growth.

Is that a fair statement?

parothead22
10/14/2006, 07:04 AM
yes, that is a fair assumption, also from an algae prospective(micro), the redder end of the spectrum will help aid to the growth of microalgae!
When you replace your bulbs, you may want to either decrease the duration your lights are on or lower your coral in your tank, to lower your chances of stress(bleaching).

cham
10/14/2006, 09:59 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8338693#post8338693 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by parothead22
yes, that is a fair assumption, also from an algae prospective(micro), the redder end of the spectrum will help aid to the growth of microalgae!
When you replace your bulbs, you may want to either decrease the duration your lights are on or lower your coral in your tank, to lower your chances of stress(bleaching).

Well I went ahead and picked up a single icecap 175 with a 20k XM bulb. I think I am going to mount that today and run 4 hours a day for 2 weeks and then buy another exact same set up and install. Hopefully that will allow for some acclimation time.

I went with the 20k bulbs because my T5's are 11k and provide some nice white (what I hope) growing light.

smcnally
10/14/2006, 10:13 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8339386#post8339386 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by cham
Well I went ahead and picked up a single icecap 175 with a 20k XM bulb. I think I am going to mount that today and run 4 hours a day for 2 weeks and then buy another exact same set up and install. Hopefully that will allow for some acclimation time.

I went with the 20k bulbs because my T5's are 11k and provide some nice white (what I hope) growing light.

I would have gone the other route and went with 10K on the MH and Actinics on the T5. That's what I'm running now and my colors and growth are amazing. I used to run 14k bulbs and everything grew rediculously slow. IMO, 10k is the way to go for growth. Heres a pic:
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b68/stevesreef/DSC02932.jpg

cham
10/14/2006, 10:36 AM
Well, I say I went 20k but I came home with a 10k, 15k & 20k bulb. I want to play around with them and make sure a 10k doesnt whiteout my tank too bad.

Shawnts106
10/14/2006, 07:05 PM
However, keep in mind there is a lot more to growth and color than lighting.

yep, ah-hah... Water quality plays a more important factor in this IMO./ IME.

cham
10/14/2006, 07:15 PM
I put in the 20k, 14k and 12k and by far the 12k looks the best to me IMHO. The most shimmer effect and the colors pop the best.

I took pics but even with my 6.1 mega pixel you cant really even tell I changed the bulb.

My URI super actinic VHO's and 11k T5's are making a very unique lighting situation.

Now that I have an idea of what bulbs I like (these three are a few months old and on loan) where is the cheapest place to buy online name brands? Go with Hamilton, XM or ?

smcnally
10/15/2006, 06:20 AM
You probably can't tell the difference in your pictures because your camera is most likely set to auto white balance. If you set your white balace to a reference point, you should see the difference.