PDA

View Full Version : perfect reason not to overlook the small simple stuff

sir_dudeguy
10/13/2006, 08:23 PM
Well on tuesday my 55 gallon tank sprung a leak and almost caught my room on fire. When i found it, the temp was only 68 so i expected to see lots of stuff die. Well i started frantically taking it apart and trying to rush the stuff to my other tanks.

Thanks to the locals (and having 2 other cycled tanks) i was able to get rid of my diamond goby, and put my 2 clowns in a 29g tank along w/30 lbs of rock, and put my sixline wrasse into my 40 breeder which has been set up a couple months now. The clowns would have gone in there too but there's already a pair of black percs so they couldnt. The diamond gobie had to go because the 40 has a 4 inch sandbed and no rock touching the bottom..he'd cause a rockslide in 2 seconds. The 30 has hardly any sand at all so i didnt think that was the greatest idea for a burrowing fish.

Anyways, i got everything switched over to the other tanks and got rid of the gobie and was SOOO releaved that nothing died due to this.

WRONG! yesterday morning i fed my fish in the 40...the 2 black percs and now the sixline. The sixline was swimming around and BAM! got sucked up a powerhead.

So just a warning to all you people who think your fish will be fine with no covers on the powerheads...get them covered! I had that wrasse in the 55 with no powerhead covers for SIX MONTHS, and nothing happened...then the day after i move him he gets caught.
So dont look over the small stupid little things like that. That was a 24 dollar mistake over a piece of plastic that might cost 12 cents :)

Nano Chris
10/13/2006, 08:37 PM
Sorry for the loss, defenatly have powerhead covers on your powerheads, will make me sleep better when i get my fish in my tank.

arizona tech
10/13/2006, 08:48 PM
man that 55 gallon tank you had waz not that old, or waz it? sorry about the bad luck

corivus
10/13/2006, 09:41 PM
ouchers man, that sucks :( I had that happen when a fish decided to swim over the egg crate and into my sump and wanted to explore the return pump :(

sir_dudeguy
10/13/2006, 09:43 PM
az tech, no it really wasnt that old...well i havent had it that long anyways. I got it used off of CRAIGSLIST. It was in great shape too but idk...I've had it about 7 or 8 months now. Lately tho i've been not too happy with the way it was turning out...i'm getting a new one from a local guy and i'll be able to start fresh (well not freshwater..still salt lol) and do it the way i like this time, and not the cheap way.

arizona tech
10/13/2006, 10:06 PM
are you getting a 55 or different size?

drummereef
10/13/2006, 10:17 PM
That waaay sucks. I know how it is to lose a fish to a powerhead for sure. That's how my cucumber met his. :(

InvaderJim
10/13/2006, 11:04 PM
Dang powerheads. Always sucking up peoples fish.