PDA

View Full Version : BEST tips for cleaning acrylic

NMOCEAN
10/13/2006, 10:10 PM
I just purchased a dream tank from ATM in Las Vegas, it is a 375 gallon acrylic tank. I am terrified to pull off the protective plastic covering!! I would really like to hear everyones tips and advice about how and what to clean acrylic tanks with, as to prevent scratches.

I had a 240 gallon acrylic tank, and learned some things not to clean acrylic with, but don't want to make any mistakes with this one!

Thanks, Jen

Scissorhand
10/13/2006, 10:23 PM
I use the Kent Pro Scraper for Acrylic/Glass to scrape off all the coralline and that's worked pretty well. No scratches.

NMOCEAN
10/14/2006, 08:30 AM
Thanks PochiePooh, will keep that in mind!

Jen

Creetin
10/14/2006, 10:49 AM
Get yourself an all plastic, with rubber squeege to clean the salt creep off the top and on the underside of the acrylic top.
Also if you use a magnavore get some dobie pads and cut out the sponge, and stick the wet end of the magnet in there. It will take coraline off and not scratch the acryic.

acrylic_300
10/14/2006, 11:39 AM
Don't Laugh. Scatch Out by Kit easily removes scratches & haze from all auto finishes plus plexiglass & plastic. It's mild and works as a good Acrylic Cleaner.

Apply a coat of this monthly and remove it with the softest cloth you can find.

Never use anything else....no cleaners nothing. When a line of saltwater runs down it, dampen your softest cloth with fresh water and remove it....followed by a dry cloth. When dust or anything else is on it...use a soft dry cloth.

If you dont believe me try one side...then feel the difference of how a cloth floats and glides across it...compared to how it grabs and grinds on the regular surface.

NMOCEAN
10/14/2006, 12:51 PM
Awesome tips guys! Thanks! I am starting to feel a little bit better about taking off the protective plastic!

Jen

UCanDoIt
10/14/2006, 12:58 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8337686#post8337686 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by PochiePooh
I use the Kent Pro Scraper for Acrylic/Glass to scrape off all the coralline and that's worked pretty well. No scratches.

I used the same on the inside of my tank. Also a soft sponge with the threaded cloth material.

For the outside, I use Brillianize and acrylic safe towels purchased from my local Tap Plastics store than specialize in acrylics. But that car polish idea sounds great!

Hop
10/14/2006, 01:03 PM
I use some acrylic scrapers that came with my tank, a 30" Kent pro scraper and a tiger shark magnet cleaner for day to day cleanings.

To clean: First I picked up a box of ultra soft baby diapers from a store in town. I use a damp one to wipe the outside down. Then I use my tiger shark to clean the inside, careful not to pick up anything that may scratch the pane. If I got too close to the sand, I just pull the outside magnet away and let the inside cleaner, float away, releasing anything that may have got into the pad. The final step on normal cleaning is to use Brillianize to polish the outside with two dry baby diapers

As far as scraping goes, I just take my time.

I have two very small scratches in the whole tank after nearly a year. I do have on huge, deep scratch, but that was from my wife picking up a snail with the magnet while I was gone for seven weeks:) I plan on fixing it very soon, but it's kind of out of sight, so I forget about it!

Good Luck...

UCanDoIt
10/14/2006, 01:06 PM
Thanks for the tips, Christine :)

acrylic_300
10/14/2006, 01:31 PM
For coraline I use a long peice of pvc with a slot cut in the end...I put and old credit card in the slot. There are probably better ways...but it works.

NMOCEAN
10/14/2006, 08:59 PM
acrylic 300, have you ever scratched the tank with the credit card? Do you ever replace the credit card if it gets beat up a little? This sounds like a really novel idea!

Thanks, Jen

NMOCEAN
10/14/2006, 08:59 PM
acrylic 300, have you ever scratched the tank with the credit card? Do you ever replace the credit card if it gets beat up a little? This sounds like a really novel idea!

Thanks, Jen

acrylic_300
10/14/2006, 09:16 PM
The credit card wont scratch it but the coraline will. It doesn't matter what you use the coraline is hard and will scratch if your not careful.

It's likely going to get scratched close to the sand bed anyway...I think that's why the coraline grows there in the first place.

NGuay
10/14/2006, 09:54 PM
I also use a credit card to scrape the tank and it works great. I have an actual scraper but I stopped using it.

I think the biggest thing to avoid scratches would be to not have any sand. That's how I have the couple small scratches that I have. When I upgrade to a bigger tank I'm going to avoid sand like the plague.

NMOCEAN
10/15/2006, 08:43 AM
well I am definitely going to have sand; so I guess if sand is the culprute for most scratches then I will have to be extra careful to stay away from the sand bed!

Thanks, Jen

UCanDoIt
10/15/2006, 09:02 AM
The Kent Pro Scraper works really well right at the edge of the sand bed through going into the sand bed. You just have to be sure not the lift the scaper away from the acrylic wall and scrape in downward motion only, always being sure that before you put the scraper against the acrylic wall that all grains of sand have fallen off the scraper.