PDA

View Full Version : whats wrong with frogspawn?

Siiri
10/14/2006, 02:49 PM
Hey there,

so I was gone for a few days, and the temperature in my tank dropped to 74 Fahrenheit. Since I dont have A/C in my apartment it is hard to control the heat or cold in the room and therefore in the fishtank. Well thats not the prob though. So today I come back and my frogspawn looks like this: http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/127256CIMG0342.jpg

could it be because of the temperature dropping? I am slowly raising the temperature again. Anything I need to do, or is something seriously wrong with this branch? The other 4 branches look fine.

Thanks again :)

smcnally
10/14/2006, 02:56 PM
Weird...It looks like something picked it clean. Do you have any fish that nip at it?

EdKruzel
10/14/2006, 02:56 PM
That branch is gone; frag it off so that it doesn't effect the other branches.
Well thats not the prob though

Actually it is; drastic temperature swings of more than three degrees at a time can kill your livestock.
All tanks should have a heater set between 78-82 degrees; you may have to manually control the tank from over-heating if the room is hot, but you'll never have to worry about the temps droping when the room gets cold.

Ed

Siiri
10/14/2006, 02:59 PM
what is the best way to frag the branch?

EdKruzel
10/14/2006, 03:02 PM
smcnally,
That is very typical of a receded Euphyllia species; it is apparent that it wasn't in the greatest of health due to the ring of algae growing around the branch just below the head.
It is difficult to see in the picture, however the second head is barely extended; it should be much larger if in optimal health.

Ed

EdKruzel
10/14/2006, 03:03 PM
Just snap it like a wishbone; if it's too thick you can cut it with poultry scissors or wire cutters.

Siiri
10/14/2006, 03:05 PM
I only got the frogspawn two weeks ago, and thats the way it has since then been.... Maybe it wasnt healthy in the first place when I got it because all my parameters are fine, well except my temperature.....
All my other corals are doing fine though.....

lbaskball45
10/14/2006, 03:55 PM
why is it necessary to cut the dead part? how can it spread to the other branches? I dont understand. Why would the dead one effect the other branches that are alive?