PDA

View Full Version : Conductivity Probe Values Drift downward over Time

ReefLurker
10/15/2006, 07:45 AM
I have my Conductivity Probe resting in a drip cup. It will start at around 53,000 and over the next few days the values will drift downward, sometimes settling around 49,000. If I swirl the probe around in the water in the drip cup, the values return to around 53,000. Any thoughts on what may be going on?
Thanks,
Jeff

rdmpe
10/15/2006, 08:19 AM
My pinpoint monitor does the same thing. I'm pretty sure it is just from air bubbles collecting on the probe. It may not happen if you put the probe in a very high flow area. I tend to just reach in and swirl my probe around a bit when I want to check the salinity. I don't think there is anything wrong with your equipment.

ReefLurker
10/15/2006, 08:43 AM
True, I dont think anything is wrong with the equipment. Just that I would like to set up the probe where I dont have to fuss with it every few days. I'll try a higher flow area.
Thanks

Mimbler1
10/21/2006, 11:44 AM
Mine (pinpoint and AC pro) do exactly the same thing! I don't know if flow helps, as mine is in a fairly low flow area - I just lift it up and replace it every couple of days to keep it on track,
Mike

ReefLurker
10/21/2006, 06:05 PM
I feel there muset be a solution somewhere to this dilemma, as having to raise and lower it in a cup...or swirl it in the cup to remove the bubbles is one more thing I would like to eliminate from my maintenance list. I have mine placed in a suspended cup to eliminate the possibility of electrical current. Perhaps the probe could be redesigned in a manner to help minimize the bubbles? Perhaps have the hole placed in a different area? I do not know if the bubbles buildup inside the barrel of the probe...or if they are attracted to the end of the probe due to surface tension issues.

Acroholic
10/22/2006, 08:41 AM
I have my conductivity probe in a manifold and it still collects bubbles. I have to bleed the air out every few days....
I don't really understand why the bubbles only effect the coductivity probe and no others......
I have just learned to live with it....unfortunately.
It will read as low as 50-51 when it is actually steady at 53.
As we speak now, it is reading 50.7 and I just bled the air out and it went up to 53.1....

rdmpe
10/22/2006, 10:12 AM
Hey Acroholic, I think I saw that in your tank thread - was meaning to ask you if it would be better to have the probes upside down would that help with the bubble collection issue?

Acroholic
10/22/2006, 11:25 AM
I believe the probes need to be mounted in an upright vertical position. I'm not sure where I read that....but I asked Curt this question when I first realized I was having this problem and he told me to mount them as vertical as possible.
I am still working on a self bleeder in the manifold..I have just been busy with other things lately....hope to get back to the bleeder this week.

skydancer
12/02/2006, 07:24 AM
Acroholic, do you have a picture of the probe manifold? How close is the conductivity probe to the other probes (like temp, PH and ORP). I also own the AC3 PRO and I remember Curt telling me that the temp, PH, and ORP have to be placed within 3 inches from eachother, but the conductivity probe should be a lot further away to eliminate interference.
My conductivity probe is also very eratic as well. I guess the bubbles...